cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Notice

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've joined this forum to possibly warn others of O2. I recently had an application turned down to open a new bank account. The bank were unwilling to supply details but suggested I carry out a credit check via Exprian which I did. The only negative was a default notice lodged by O2 for the sum of £231 dating back to 2005.

I contacted O2 via e-mail (I refuse to use their premium rate number) and they agreed that it was lodged by them and requested further details - O2 telephone number, account number, etc. There lies the problem as I and no one else in the family has ever had an O2 phone so it's simply not possible to supply these details. Sent another e-mail stating this to O2 and received the normal automated 'we aim to respond within 24 hours' but heard nothing back so presumably there is nothing or they have decided that silence is their best option.

I have now written to them giving them 14 days to respond or I will be seeking redress through the small claims court. I am advised by my solicitor that I am entitled to seek compensation. By taking the matter to the small claims court O2 will be required to supply all documentation justifying their actions.

I fully expect this post to be removed by the mods at some stage but this is my experience to date.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the default is in your name at your address and you aren't responsible for the debt. Then it means you have been the victim of a fraud, possibly identity theft. It seems bizarre to be threatening to sue O2 when you should be more concerned in sorting out the fraud. The credit reference agency can help you with this and you will eventually hear from O2's fraud department.

Its very important that you seek proper advice on this.
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hang on a second. You're willing to engage a solicitor (presumably at cost), whilst you're not willing to pay to phone O2 to try and sort it out? 0870 numbers cost a maximum of 8p / minute from a BT landline, and can be free depending on your BT plan - hardly 'premium rate'. Seeing as this issue is complex and causing you problems, it may well be easier to actually pick up the phone to speak to someone. I doubt they'll be able to help you immediately, but they will be able to set the wheels in motion.

If you still would rather hand over bags of cash to a lawyer instead of giving 8p/minute to BT, then first try writing to:

O2 Complaint Review Service, PO Box 116,
Leeds LS11 5DS
Email: complaintreviewservice@o2.com
Fax: 0113 388 6696

They have more ability to sort out complex matters such as this.
Message 3 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
More info on correcting your credit file:

Link: https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/con ... g_credit13
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Firstly - I'm not handing over any hard earned cash to a solicitor - I've known him for years so it was a simple phone call to get some quick advice.

My first thought was the identity theft bit but this is the only adverse comment on my credit report and dates back to 05. Plus at no time have I been in receipt of a delivery note, invoice(s), statements, etc, etc. It appears as though someone has simply pushed a button somewhere and left it at that which I am lead to believe contravenes the Consumer Credit Act. But as O2 are unable or unwilling to respond with any degree or urgency to their error then I am inclined to take the action.

As far as ringing a premium rate phone number then O2 are clearly out of touch. Many companies have now ceased this practice as it did bring them into disrepute.

Thank you for your feedback.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Strange logic, I really think you need to take professional advice and not a quick phone call to a solicitor acquaintance.
Message 6 of 8

AndyP2404
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I am having a nightmare with O2, after 10 years with them and paying all bills with no issues due to something happening in my personal lift i paid 2 months bill 5 days late.  this was an oversite and once i sorted things out i was back on track. I went to get a remortage but got rejected which was a mega surprise as i was only at 50% of house value but after looking into this O2 put a default notice on my accoount!!  default notice for 2 late payments!!

i tried to call then and was told this was in my terms and conditions and asked where and after 5 mins wait it turns out it wasnt, on the O2 website it says default notice after 6 months of non payment - i only paid under a week late!!  when i called O2 they said it had to be raised to the credit referral department and this would be within 3 working days.  I am now on call no 4 and 6 weeks later and they have not called to discuss.  With this my two credit card companies have now written to me and reduced my limit and upped the interest.  I am fuming with this and cant get O2 to resolve  also cant go to OFCOM due to them refusing to supply a deadlock letter,  can anyone advise?

Message 7 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

You need to contact the Credit Referals team on this

The email address is creditfilereferrals@telefonica.com

Or you can write them at

Credit File Referrals Team
Suite P
Arlington Business Centre