cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged £228 for a returned lease phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I returned my lease phone last month, now it turns out o2 have charged me £228? Looking at your guide this is a charge for "Not functional or excessive damage". Now what is funny about this is the person i returned it to used the phone right infront of me and without doubt the camera's in the store and everything worked perfectly and since i got the phone it had a case on it at all time so there wasn't even a scratch let alone "Excessive damage".

Well done, you managed to figure out a scheme to steal peoples money without any proof of anything.

I'll be coming in tomorrow to cancel my sim only contract after being advised by your own sales rep to wait until april because you're doing some "Amazing deals" and going else where.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

How much?

Oh dear, time for the complaint page I think:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

It was probably careless staff (somewhere along the food chain) which damaged it. I think a receipt signed by you and the recipitent at both ends of the transaction, to prove no damage was present at the time.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ouch !

Let us know how your complaint comes along.
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do!, I'm going to ring them later today when i get home and talk to them.

I have the receipt for returning the phone in normal working order as when i returned it i bought another phone and went on a sim only for a couple of months on the advise of the sales rep.

Fair enough if i had returned the phone all scratched or a crack but it was perfect as i'd had a case on it since day 1. In terms of functionality i'd never had a problem over the whole year and the sales rep in the shop even used it infront of me, my friend and camera stores and had no problems using it so i don't believe that when the lease team got their hands on it, it refused to work or was smashed to pieces.

I shall let you know how i get on when it's sorted

Message 5 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23070 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

If your receipt says that the phone was returned undamaged and in working order, there isn't any way for them to be able to charge you for it. I don't see how they could dispute that. There is definitely cause for you to make a complaint.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right. After an interesting couple of days and hours spent talking to various people.

I spoke to one phone center manager who said to me that if i returned the phone and it was in perfect working order before it was sent off to the lease team then it must of happened in transit. All i need to do is go into my o2 store and get the manager who took the phone from me to give them a ring and confirm that the phone was all in order and he will happily whipe the charges.. sound simple enough eh?

Went into my o2 shop today and explained my situation and the manager said well as far as he in concerned the phone was in perfect working order when i returned it so gave them a ring to confim it.. This is where the fun starts.

The new manager at the call center he spoke to firstly tried to blame me for it being damaged in transit, then he tried to say there was nothing he can do about it (despite what the previous manager had told me the night before) So after a 1 hour and 30 minutes phone call we got to the conclusion of, that manager at the call center wasn't prepared to whipe the charges but he will put a note on the previous managers computer about the store manager ringing up and confirming the phone was in perfect working order and he can deal with it and whipe it.

The store manager then says to me that after we have spoke to the call center manager on monday ring him in store and let him know what they say. If this manager call center manager now turns round and say he isn't clearing the charges (Not that he can, we have a recorded phone call of him saying he will if we get store manager confirmation) The store manager will then ring his area manager to come and sort out the charges and clear them.

So all in all it's being drawn out by the call center people for a conclusion that is going to end up with me not having to pay anything anyway. A lot of messing if you ask me, but can't fault the store manager, extremely helpful.

Message 7 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23070 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Glad to hear you're not going to be charged for it, but it all sounds ridiculous. Once you handed the phone back in, how could you possibly be responsible for it being damaged in transit? Where did they cook that one up from? It's good that your local store manager has been so helpful, but it would probably still be a good idea to get them to put it in writing that you aren't going to be charged for this.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've heard the saying "Going round the houses" ,as a long route to sorting something out, but in your case its more "going round the entire housing estate" !

It's good to hear your nearly finished with all of this.
Message 9 of 9