Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCJ for someone else's O2 bill

jdelan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm receiving demands from Overdales solicitors that I pay a CCJ due to an outstanding O2 bill. I have never had an account with O2. I replied out of courtesy to say they've reached the wrong person, but they are insistent that I have to pay. I've even called the court, who said the CCJ was for someone with the same name as me but a completely different address and date of birth. The account number in question is 1047433991. I can only assume someone's walked into an O2 store and signed up with a false email address (i.e. mine), walked away with a handset and now I'm on the hook for it.

I've called you several weeks ago to resolve this, you said you'd look into it internally and get back within three working days. Nobody has got back to me and I'm still being hounded by the debt collectors, so I've been in touch with a national radio station about it. I was wondering if O2 have any comment to make on the matter?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6784 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

Not from here I'm afraid as this is simply a customer to customer forum without access to accounts.

Myself, I would be putting in a counter claim against the solicitors.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 11

jdelan
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I see, thank you. I looked up their Trustpilot page and it appears they have a history of "trying it on" with people. I just don't want to end up out of pocket with solicitors' fees and the associated stress when it's a simple case of them having contacted the wrong person.

Message 3 of 11

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6784 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

Check your credit file (not just your credit score) to see if anything has been applied against it. 

As you say, I expect this is solicitors trying it on even though they have flimsy evidence that you are the person responsible 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 11

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6306 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@jdelan 

Did you receive any correspondence, summons etc from Overdales or from the court before judgement was given ? 

Assuming that this is not a scam - from the facts that you have given us it looks like it isn't - the next step will probably be for Overdales to return to the court to get the judgement enforced. I suggest that you write to the court, with a copy to Overdales, setting out the facts regarding addresses, DoBs etc and emphasising that this is not your debt. If you did not receive anything before judgement was given, you should mention this too.   

Please keep us updated on developments. 

Message 5 of 11

jdelan
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did not receive any correspondence. A CCJ was sent to an individual bearing my name, to an address in Waltham Cross, near London. I live near Hull, been on the electoral register since 2010. I called the court, they confirmed the other person has a different address and DOB to mine. But that's not enough for these solicitors, apparently, as they keep emailing me telling me to cough up. I'm not sharing my address or phone number with them, as it's bad enough just getting the emails.

Message 6 of 11

jdelan
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry I've been having problems responding to this thread, keep drafting a response and then it logs me out.

I check my Experian file regularly, there's nothing adverse on there.

Message 7 of 11

Oxonian
  • 6306 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@jdelan 

You might want to look at :-

If you're being taken to court for debt - Citizens Advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/action-your-creditor-can-take/if-youre-being-taken-...

The section headed "Keeping your contact details private" seems to be particularly relevant in your circumstances. 

Message 8 of 11

Oxonian
  • 6306 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@jdelan wrote:

Sorry I've been having problems responding to this thread, keep drafting a response and then it logs me out.

I check my Experian file regularly, there's nothing adverse on there.

Of course, that's because judgement hasn't been given against you but against the person from Waltham Cross. 

Message 9 of 11

jdelan
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Indeed, although judging from the first few comments on their Trustpilot page they'd have no qualms about trying to pin it on me, instead:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.overdales.com

Message 10 of 11