cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

711 million email addresses collected via spam!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Worring news this week. A malware researcher has discovered what is thought to be the biggest singe spambot operation of it's kind that has scooped up over 711 million email address and passwords! It's thought these email addresses have been collected to help spread banking malware by hijacking the email accounts. 

Apparently the malware had been hidden in tiny pixel-sized images in the emails it had sent out, which were used to harvest information about recipients' computers. 

It's recommend that people change their passwords to be on the safe side. You can also check to see if your account has been targeted (but not if its been hijacked) by entering your email on the Have I Been Pwned website

Further reading here

malware.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144673 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

You can also check to see if your account has been targeted (but not if its been hijacked) by entering your email on the Have I Been Pwned website

How do we know this site isn't just collecting email addresses?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It was created by a web security expert who has good credentials but I suppose launching such a site would be a great way to gather email addresses laughing

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 5

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Interesting @Martin-O2.

I checked the Have I Been Pwned website and apparently my account has been targeted once but no pastes. I looked through the various sites affected and I don't use any of them. The only social media site I'm on is Facebook and that purely to save my games' data. I don't post on it nor is my personal info visible to anyone but me. But I will change my password just to be sure.

Extremely worrying. You just can't be too careful when using the internet. Dontcha just love technology. It's fantastic until some criminal works out a way to use it against you!
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 5

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Glory1 That's a good shout! It's good practice to periodically change your passwords on your main accounts. I've done mine just to be on the safe side.  

signature

Message 5 of 5