cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help using my iphone 6 plus in the usa

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi can any one give me some help regarding using my iphone 6 plus in new york ?

my hotel has wi-fi which will charge me daily 😞

but if i use it in the hotel i shouldnt get extra charges from o2 for that on my return should i ?

if i want to use free wi fi only while out and about how is it best to do this without getting charges ? ( my phone has data roaming turned off )

i contacted o2 but their only advice really was to put my phone in flight mode , but i can't call or text with it like that !

has any one been to america recently that can offer any advice ?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I m travelling to the USA and want to unlock my phone (Iphone6 on O2) so I can use a AT&T sim in it for a few days anyone got any ideas how I do this. Under contract recently. Thanks

Message 11 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 123029 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I m travelling to the USA and want to unlock my phone (Iphone6 on O2) so I can use a AT&T sim in it for a few days anyone got any ideas how I do this. Under contract recently. Thanks

How long have you had the iphone 6? As far as I am aware they are not allowing them to be unlocked just yet?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 27

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I'm afraid O2 won't unlock any iPhone 6 until the device plan is paid in full.
Message 13 of 27

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123029 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Another poster had a similar problem with their iPhone 6 when about to travel abroad. They had two choices Either buy a cheap phone in the States and transfer contacts....or get another cheap one from the UK and do the same....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 27

MI5
  • 144520 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
Paying off your device plan portion of the contract is the only way O2 will unlock an iPhone 6 right now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous I think I'm being really stupid ! I've looked in settings but can't see a link that says mobile ?!
Message 16 of 27

MI5
  • 144520 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
If you don't have your language settings to UK English it will be under "cellular"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your not stupid @Anonymous its to do with language settings, as @MI5 has said it will be cellular as in American wording. Ironic when you want to use a UK model in America but it's set to American language

To change the language setting to English UK you need to go to settings>general>language & Region>iPhone language & select English(U.K)
Message 18 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant! Thanks that's sorted it !!
Message 19 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's good then. Your welcome anytime mate
Message 20 of 27