cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wooden Spoon to O2 Customer Services

Anonymous
Not applicable
Recently, my daughter's iPhone 5c which we had bought out contract with O2, stopped working. Having visited an Apple Store, I was told it was a hardware failure, and as it was 14 months old, advised to contact O2 with a view to obtaining a repair/replacement under UK Consumer Law (which incidentally is also posted on the Apple website).

Cue one call to O2 who proceeded to tell me that the information Apple had given me was incorrect and that they had been advised by the Consumer agencies that this was the case. So pinged back to Apple, and advised that this was NOT the case and O2 were wrong.

At this point, I was fully expecting to have to call O2 again, and possibly raise the issue with Consumer Direct. However, a supervisor at Apple spoke to me and agreed that it was wrong that I was being passed between the two companies, so arranged a solution to enable a replacement phone to be sorted out.

So full marks to Apple for going the extra mile, and the wooden spoon to O2 for being obstructive and apparantly in breach of UK Consumer Law.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
I'm no expert so won't comment but there is a help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exten...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple customer service is very impressive I have to admit
Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 123272 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Apple customer service is very impressive I have to admit

Particularly when they only give a 12 month warranty...so the OP did well wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
They did indeed plus they offer AppleCare which covers iPhones but I think it's mainly for MacBooks & Apple computers as iPhones usually have a shelf life of 18 months minimum
Message 5 of 16

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Being tossed between two companies is a favourite game they play. Go to an official body for your consumer rights and even take advice from the CAB.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well no disrespect to Apple customer services as they are very good but this started based on wrong information given by them...Apple are the only manufacturer that offer 12 months warranty and the adviser should know that!All other phones now are covered for the length of the contract but Apple deals with their own repairs and warranty issues , so if you want more than 12 months pay for Apple Care... Could this have anything to do with it?Evil

But good on the manager for offering to help, as the confusion started with them.

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You get the 12 months warranty when you get the phone then after that you can choose how long you want AppleCare for

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/APP_IPHONE_PLUS_AUTO-110480/applecare-plus-for-iphone
Message 8 of 16

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
True but let's hope this gets resolved the right way & satisfactory
Message 10 of 16