Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ringtones

jjr
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have done a lot of research on this topic but nothing seems to be working.

I recently got my first iPhone but have used other Apple products before.  I am using version 11.0.5.5 of iTunes and am a windows user.

I downloader iringer to create m4r files but I cannot get them into my tones folder.  I have read various things about checking a box under the tones tab in devices.  However, when I go to my device there is no tab along the top and no box to check, there is only the one in the sidebar and nothing can be dragged/dropped into any of the tones folder.  The m4r ringtone shows up as music (which I can play) but not as a ringtone only even when I sync my phone.

I have even tried other ways of creating custom tones but nothing goes into the tones folder.  It's only a ringtone but it is so frustrating that Apple make it so hard, and I kind of regret getting an iPhone over something else.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have a local apple store a genius will walk you through it.

Best to Make an appointment first.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
iRinger will automatically export the m4r file to your iTunes, but if it doesn't just drag and drop it, then sync your phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 20

jjr
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps I am not doing something right, but it doesn't seem to work.

Once I have created my tone I connect my phone to my PC and click on the apps tab under my device.  I click on iringer and save my m4r tone to my hard drive but when I drag it into iTunes it only shows up (and syncs) as though it were music even though it does say it's a ringtone when I look at the properties.

Would you mind, perhaps, doing a step by step breakdown of how it works starting from the moment I connect my iPhone to my PC please as I must be doing something wrong.  I am not the most computer literate.

Message 3 of 20

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
After you have created the ringtone iringer always asks me if I want it to attempt to export the file to iTunes. Does yours ask this?
If not just find the file in the iringer directory and drag it into iTunes. Then connect phone and select recently added in iTunes. Tick the box next to your ringtone and then sync phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
The way I do it is download the tone file to my desktop.

Close iTunes down completely.

Then double tap the tone file in my desktop ,and iTunes should open to play it and then should be in your tones in iTunes.

I also use zedge.

And unlimtones from the App Store.
Message 5 of 20

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
It will only play from the desktop if iTunes is set as the default media player. If not, right click and choose open with iTunes.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 20

jjr
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for both these replies.  I have tried both ways and still no luck.  iringer definitely does not ask me about exporting and I can't drag it into iTunes either.  I think I am ready to give up with it and just hope Apple introduce an easier method with their next update.

Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried the app I mentioned ?

It's pretty good.
Message 8 of 20

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
You don't have to put it in the tones folder. Just drop it into your music library.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 20

jjr
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, I've just downloaded it and it seems good.  Stupid question, but how do you get the song to send to iphone?  Do you have to pay?

Message 10 of 20