Did you mean: 

Need help - sending same message to multiple people at once

MarkTadley
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 125 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Wonder if you can advice me here?

I sent a new message to 18 people last night detailing them my new mobile number and all i did was create the message and put in a subject title and in the 'To' section, I put in each person until there were all the contacts that I needed to send this one message out to. I then 'sent' it.

I got a phone call back from 1 person that they received it but after she sent me her own message about her updating my contact details, she got a message back from some others, unknown to her, about the text she sent me back. (Hope you can understand me on this bit)

Did I, by sending everyone, the same text at the same time some how create a problem or is it that when she replied, that reply used all the contacts I had used previously? Does it ask her to either reply to sender or reply to group?

Not sure what type of mobile she has either Smiley Frustrated

Do I need to do something on my iPhone 5 to allow me to send a single text to multiple user but when they reply to that text it only comes back to me?

Cheers in advance for all the advice and help Smiley Very Happy

Tu Go = v2.5.0.431 permanently Turned OFF
128gb iPhone 6+ Slate Grey on O2 Network
No signal or 1bar 2G reception in rural location with O2
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarkTadley wrote:

I sent a new message to 18 people last night detailing them my new mobile number and all i did was create the message and put in a subject title and in the 'To' section, I put in each person until there were all the contacts that I needed to send this one message out to. I then 'sent' it.

If you have put some text in the Subject field/title, this then turns the message from a standard SMS into a MMS message and it will be charged at 35p per message (unless you have a MMS bolt on).

To stop incurring MMS charges (as it is easy to inadvertantly place text in the subject line). You can go into Settings/Messages, scroll down to the bottom till the SMS/MMS section and switch off "SWITCH OFF SUBJECT FIELD". This will get rid of the Subject field.

It is possible to send a SMS message to multiple people (I have done this myself many times). To do this you do the following:

Go into Messages and in the TO field, just keep pressing the + add the recipiant, click + again, add the recipeant and so on until you have all the people included that you are wanting to send the message to.

I've done the above many times and I have not had any of the issues that you've mentioned about others getting replies back from some of the other recipiants slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I am aware, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, the iPhone 5 allows for group messaging so it includes it all as one conversation.

She would need to reply to you individually in order to keep it between the two of you.

Also, i would check the recent charges section of your bill as the iPhone 5 can convert group messages to MMS which are charged at 35p per message.

Message 2 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://lifehacker.com/5866841/be-wary-of-group-messaging-in-ios-5-if-you-dont-want-to-reply-all explains the group issue

And it would go as an mms if you used the subject field

also see here http://gigaom.com/2011/11/01/imessage-101-group-messaging/

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 6

MarkTadley
  • 125 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

opium wrote: 

Also, i would check the recent charges section of your bill as the iPhone 5 can convert group messages to MMS which are charged at 35p per message.

Looks like you are right here - I just checked my data package on O2 and yep, been billed for all 18 messages as an MMS at 35p Smiley Surprised I wont be doing that again Smiley Embarassed

@adamtemp64 wrote:

http://lifehacker.com/5866841/be-wary-of-group-messaging-in-ios-5-if-you-dont-want-to-reply-all explains the group issue

And it would go as an mms if you used the subject field

also see here http://gigaom.com/2011/11/01/imessage-101-group-messaging/

Yep the messages did and thanks guys for the help and so very fast Smiley Very Happy

One other question though - I've now turned off MMS so does this stop me sending a single text to several people in one go?

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarkTadley wrote:

If you have put some text in the Subject field/title, this then turns the message from a standard SMS into a MMS message and it will be charged at 35p per message (unless you have a MMS bolt on).

To stop incurring MMS charges (as it is easy to inadvertantly place text in the subject line). You can go into Settings/Messages, scroll down to the bottom till the SMS/MMS section and switch off "SWITCH OFF SUBJECT FIELD". This will get rid of the Subject field.

It is possible to send a SMS message to multiple people (I have done this myself many times). To do this you do the following:

Go into Messages and in the TO field, just keep pressing the + add the recipiant, click + again, add the recipeant and so on until you have all the people included that you are wanting to send the message to.

I've done the above many times and I have not had any of the issues that you've mentioned about others getting replies back from some of the other recipiants slight_smile

Message 5 of 6

MarkTadley
  • 125 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Many thanks for this and I have turned off MMS and Subject parts of it slight_smile

I wont be getting caught again with that expense Smiley Embarassed

Message 6 of 6