cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on unlocking iphone 4s from O2 (apple technicalities)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I have been researching about unlocking my phone from O2, which is currently on a business contract, due to end soon, which will then be transferred to me (hopefully).   As far as I can make out, its a fairly straightforward request to O2 online, the only bit I am unsure about, is connecting to itunes with 'another' sim card.  Can this be any compatible sim card, or does it have to be an activated one?  And what if my itunes and iphone iOS are not the current releases?  I have kept iOS6, as I don't really like iOS7, and don't want to upgrade my itunes either, which I think is v10.7 ish.    And can I then remove the non O2 sim and use the original one without any problems?

I was thinking about using Tesco Moblie or GiffGaff, which I know will probably work even if the phone is still locked to O2, but I would like the option of changing to another network, incase the service is not very good on either of these, which I have also read about.

Also, if the O2 sim ceases to be connected to the network, does the iphone still work like an ipod touch?

Sorry for all the questions, I get a bit confused with this kind of thing.  And can you give more than 30 days notice to end your contract, or are you supposed to wait till around that time?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Unlock via the online form,

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

When you get the confirmation e mail from o2 you then insert a non o2 sim card in the phone.

iPhone 5 upwards you dont need to hook up to itunes to complete the unlock.

iPhone 4s down you do need to hook up to itunes to complete the unlock.

Some payg sim cards are already activated and some require a top up to activate.

The likes of giffgaff i believe require you to activate the sim online.

Yes once the unlock procedure is completed it will remain so you can use whichever network you want to use including O2.

It does not matter what your iOS is on or what iTunes version you are using.

Its just recommended to keep them up to date so you can take advantage of stability patches, security updates and new features.

Yes with no internet connection the iPhone music specs work.

Everything you need to know on ending an o2 contract.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774#U566...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Unlock via the online form,

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

When you get the confirmation e mail from o2 you then insert a non o2 sim card in the phone.

iPhone 5 upwards you dont need to hook up to itunes to complete the unlock.

iPhone 4s down you do need to hook up to itunes to complete the unlock.

Some payg sim cards are already activated and some require a top up to activate.

The likes of giffgaff i believe require you to activate the sim online.

Yes once the unlock procedure is completed it will remain so you can use whichever network you want to use including O2.

It does not matter what your iOS is on or what iTunes version you are using.

Its just recommended to keep them up to date so you can take advantage of stability patches, security updates and new features.

Yes with no internet connection the iPhone music specs work.

Everything you need to know on ending an o2 contract.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774#U566...

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the information, it will be a great help.  Just one small question, I was having a look at the online form, but until I complete page 1, I cannot see what page 2 (security info) is going to ask.  As the phone is currently on a business account, the only security I know of is the password on the account (which covers 4 phones), is this going to be a problem - I would think all 4 phone users will want to unlock their phones before the contract ends, as it is free. 

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the information, it will be a great help.  Just one small question, I was having a look at the online form, but until I complete page 1, I cannot see what page 2 (security info) is going to ask.  As the phone is currently on a business account, the only security I know of is the password on the account (which covers 4 phones), is this going to be a problem - I would think all 4 phone users will want to unlock their phones before the contract ends, as it is free. 

The security questions vary each time from passwords to other account specific info.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145046 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
The password is the one that is linked to your account. They usually ask for something like the 2nd & 5th letters, for example rather than the whole word.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I just check, once unlocked, I can use any sim card, including 02, and change them about - it won't automatically lock to the new card, will it? (the guy in the EE shop said it would, but I am hoping he was talking rubbish)

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct,

Once unlocked you can use any sim card and it wont lock back up.

Message 7 of 7