cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 Plus - Scratched Screen!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there.

So I've had the 6 Plus for all of three days, I've deliberately avoided putting in in my pockets or even taking it out of the house because I'm still waiting for a case. To my dismay this morning I've noticed that it already has a scratch, maybe six or seven milimeters in length on the screen. Pronounced enough so as to show up when the screen is illuminated and when it's off. I'm really angry about this, I'm very careful with phones and in this case I've just shelled out £500 for it. I've had this happen towards the end of an iPhone contract before, but this quickly and with so much care being taken? I've even ordered screen protectors already! Gutted...

I can't get through to O2 just now, but is there anything they can actually do about it? I insured the phone with them. Any advice would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe not much help but. The scratched screen could have been done during the assembly of the iPhone and some how got missed by quality control.

The glass on the new iPhones (both the 6 and 6 Plus) should not be that easy to scratch as its ion-strengthened glass and is pretty tough. I suspect that yours has been scratched before you took it out of the box, but it might be hard to prove this to O2.

Whenever I get a new iPhone, iPad etc. The first thing I do when I take it out of the box is to check that there are no scratches on the screen or anywhere else, and after that I make sure the thing works ok. Things can get damaged and missed during assembly. I had an iPhone 5 that out of the box the earpiece didn’t work at all. So there is no guarantee that an iPhone (or anything else for that matter) will be in perfect condition/perfect working order out of the box.

I have the 6 Plus and for the time been I’m using the iPhone naked (the iPhone’s naked, not me lol). I’ve carried it around in my jeans pocket (theres nothing else in my pocket) for 8 days and there is no scratches on the screen or anywhere else for that matter, so they aren’t going to be scratched by putting in and out of a pocket. I’ve pre ordered a Sena leather pouch, but these won’t be shipped out till mid October, so naked it is till then.

I suspect yours was scratched before you opened the box, and you perhaps didn’t noticed it.

The positive thing is though, you have insurance, and as bandbrothers mentions, the insurance covers this kind of thing.

Message 21 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like your still enjoying your 6+ @Anonymous

I also check everything from top to bottom while I'm in the Apple Store. Usually I go to a set up station with a Genius and they stay there until your happy with the iPhone and that it works as it should.
Message 22 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sounds like your still enjoying your 6+ @Anonymous

I also check everything from top to bottom while I'm in the Apple Store. Usually I go to a set up station with a Genius and they stay there until your happy with theiPhone and that it works as it should.

@Anonymous 

Yeah still enjoying it. A few apps I use have been updated so as to optimise the larger display on the 6 and 6 Plus and I expect this will increase over the coming weeks. With the apps, its going to be like when the iPhone 5 was released, a bit of time was needed till the apps were optimised for the larger display.

I find something as simply as typing is a better experience for me on the larger screen due to the larger keys and keyboard. I find now that I can type quickly with both my thumbs when I have the phone in portrait view due to the larger keys. Has I mentioned on another post, I was able to compare the keyboards side by side on the 5s, 6, 6 Plus. The keys on the 6 were not that much bigger than the keys on the 5s, but on the 6 Plus they were noticeably bigger.

And playing games, watching podcasts, You Tube is a lot better too. When I had the 5s and earlier models, I would grab the iPad when I wanted to watch stuff like this. But since I got the 6 Plus, I don't do this as much, the larger screen makes it more usable for this kind of thing. I still use the iPad if I want to watch a lot of videos or long videos. Reason been is I have a case on my iPad which has a multi angled stand feature to hold the iPad.

The 6 Plus is definitely a phone to have a playaround with first along with the 6, rather than just looking at it and thinking 'its too big'. Its not going to be for everyone. But the best advice is go to a store that has them and ask the sales assistants if you can try them out before you decide which to get.

Message 23 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Thank you again for your insight.

I've 'played' with the iPhone 6 and 6 + as they are pretty much side by side in the Apple Store. At first few times of using the 6+ I did think, WoW it's larger than what I'm used to ,but also because I've been trialing Android / Windows phones for O2 which have been larger ,this has highlighted to me that perhaps not being able to use a phone 100% one handed is an acceptable trade off for my uses and needs due to my eyesight.
Message 24 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @Anonymous

Thank you again for your insight.

I've 'played' with the iPhone 6 and 6 + as they are pretty much side by side in the Apple Store. At first few times of using the 6+ I did think, WoW it's larger than what I'm used to ,but also because I've been trialing Android / Windows phones for O2 which have been larger ,this has highlighted to me that perhaps not being able to use a phone 100% one handed is an acceptable trade off for my uses and needs due to my eyesight.

That was my first impression too on the 6 Plus, I thought ‘this is a lot bigger than I’m used to’.

But I was underwelmed with the 6 (and I opened the box for 6 before opening the 6 Plus). My first thought of the 6 was ‘it doesn’t look much larger screen than the 5s’.

I tended to use my earlier iPhone’s two handed so doing this with the 6 Plus was normal for me. There are certain things you can do with the 6 Plus with one hand (with the reachability feature) but for most people the 6 and 6 Plus will be a two handed iPhone.

Message 25 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got in touch with O2 insurance this morning and the guy took the view that this wasn't an insurance claim but a faulty device. What he said didn't make much sense though. He "cancelled" my order (something to do with a fourteen day window) and said I would be sent a bag to return the phone. But he also said I'd then have to make a new order with O2. Sounds to me like the wrong course of action and I guess I'll be going some time without a phone... Should there not really be a process whereby faulty devices sent back are automatically replaced?
Message 26 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Really they should bring out the new one and collect the faulty one at the same time.
Message 27 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Got in touch with O2 insurance this morning and the guy took the view that this wasn't an insurance claim but a faulty device. What he said didn't make much sense though. He "cancelled" my order (something to do with a fourteen day window) and said I would be sent a bag to return the phone. But he also said I'd then have to make a new order with O2. Sounds to me like the wrong course of action and I guess I'll be going some time without a phone... Should there not really be a process whereby faulty devices sent back are automatically replaced?

I had to get an iPhone replaced shortly after a launch once and as I was travelling to somewhere which had an Apple Store, I got the replacement done there. I know at the Apple Store, they have replacement iPhones that are seperate stock from the retail boxed ones that they sell (the retail ones have all the accessories in the box). The replacement iPhones come in a plain brown box and there are no accessories with them. I can remember the Apple Genius fetched it out of the back of the shop.

Not sure if its possible in your case, but could you not get a replacment through an Apple Store?

Chances are, if they agree its damaged before you opened the box, there is a chance they would be able to replace your iPhone there and then in the store.

Message 28 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

The problem is that there is no stock anywhere so a direct replacement will be difficult.
You'll have to wait until O2 get some more handsets in I'm afraid.......

Edit: or try Apple as Fatboy suggests....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's not the point. The process he described is bizarre. He said he had "cancelled the order" and that I'd have to return the phone and then place a new order. I'm gonna go into an O2 store tomorrow if I can and try and get some answers.
Message 30 of 31