cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Iphone locked to O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, can anyone help me with this issue.

I have just been on the phone with Apple and they checked my imei and said my phone is locked to o2.

Details:

I bought my phone last year from APPLE STORE - no contract- nothing. 

My first sim was o2 but then I switched to giffgaff. 

Now I am not in the UK and when I insert a sim it says - "Please activate your iphone - then I insert my new sim - This sim is not suported by our activation carrier..."? 

How can O2 lock my phone when all I had was a basic Pay as you Go sim and no contract?

Somebody please help me. 

Thnak you

Message 1 of 32
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you can make an apple Genius Bar appointment so they can see you and not turn you away if they are busy.

Please let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144851 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
If you bought it on O2 PAYG (from anywhere, CPW, Apple or O2) it will lock to the first sim inserted. giffgaff runs on O2 network so that's why the giffgaff sim was OK.
O2 will unlock the phone now for you but you need £15 credit on a PAYG sim for the unlock fee, plus an amount to make a few phone calls to register phone back to O2 network.
Unlock form is here https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 123280 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Just wonder if the OP is going to be able to do that @MI5  Apparently they are not in the UK at the time of posting?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought it from Regent Street Apple store. I did not have a sim for a month and later I bought a new o2 sim. I paid the full retail price around £530 from apple so I dont think O2 can lock my phone, right?

I am not in the UK now I am in India.

Message 4 of 32

MI5
  • 144851 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
It is going to be a problem now you are in India....
If you specifically requested a sim free phone from Apple they have given you the wrong handset so it is up to Apple to correct their mistake - I assume you still have a receipt showing exactly what you bought?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I buy my iPhones direct from Apple at the full retail price ,and these do not lock out to the first SIM card inserted.

Usually they email your receipt to you in store if convenient so like said just check what it says.

The units they provide for contract customers however do which is why the usually insist on inserting the appropriate network SIM card in it to lockout.
From Apple Uk Website.

"About the unlocked iPhone
Unlocked iPhone isn't tied to one network, so you have the freedom to choose any supported GSM network worldwide. Buy unlocked iPhone at the Apple Online Store, then find a SIM-only plan for iPhone. Or contact your existing carrier to continue with your current plan.

About Pay as you go.
If you don’t want a service plan, you can add a Pay as you go starter pack from one of the available carriers at the Apple Online Store. With Pay as you go, your iPhone arrives ready to use with a compatible SIM and no credit check is needed. You just pay online for what you use and you can change networks at any time. Pay as you go is a good option if you prefer to use a local network when travelling abroad."

Good luck.
Message 6 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 123280 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Bit late now though BoB...The OP unfortunately is in India. Think they travelled there thinking they could put in a local sim?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Cleoriff

I was mainly replying to the post from them about buying it at full retail price ,and them asking if O2 can lock it.

Hopefully the inserted info will add weight to their complaint.

What a nightmare to be in.

For to feel for the OP.
Message 8 of 32

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I can understand the OP being under the impression that it would be unlocked but as we have found, that's not always the case. I don't feel that this is any fault of O2's doing however. It needs to be addressed to Apple as I think they are the only ones who can unlock it given the OP's current location. It's just a shame another network sim wasn't tried in the UK.

Message 9 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree jonsie

If they go onto Apples online page their is a Chat Facility where hopefully something can be looked at when they check the iPhones serial number.
Message 10 of 32