cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky email won't send unless on wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys.

I'm having a weird issue with sending email from my Sky email account on my iPhone. I've had the issue for a while but put it down to an issue with the email provider.

I have my Sky email account on my iPhone and also on my iPad. On my iPad I am able to send and receive emails to my Sky email with no problems.

However on my iPhone I cannot send email (from my Sky email) if I am not on wifi. If I try to send an email from my Sky email when not on wifi, the email gets put in my Outbox on my iPhone and also a little popup appears saying username or password are incorrect (or words to that affect).

I suspect the issue/conflict is to do with the iPhone using O2's mobile data network to send the email and also the Outgoing SMTP of the Sky email. The Outgoing SMTP settings are identical on both my iPhone and also the iPad, the only thing that differs is the iPad is on wifi whereas the iPhone is regularly on mobile data.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and found a fix or is there a way to add an secondary outgoing SMTP for O2 mobile data network?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Something has changed quite recently as I can no longer send/receive via webmail using my main O2 email address even though I can still access the account via webmail (I transferred from O2BB to SkyBB).
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 11 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks browni.

Message 12 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Found this old thread Fatboy....
Maybe browni can confirm if still applicable or not?
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Solve-your-email-sending-problems/td-p/37

Thanks for that. Seems a good thread (if its still applicable). I'll refer to it, if my problem starts again. Thanks for all the help everyone slight_smile

Message 13 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144852 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
No worries.... hope it stays fixed wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 24

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Found this old thread Fatboy....
Maybe browni can confirm if still applicable or not?
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Solve-your-email-sending-problems/td-p/37

Yes, that still works assuming you have a valid O2 email address and password!

#siwy
Message 15 of 24

browni
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:
Something has changed quite recently as I can no longer send/receive via webmail using my main O2 email address even though I can still access the account via webmail (I transferred from O2BB to SkyBB).

When you login to webmail what email address does it show on the top LHS?

#siwy
Message 16 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@browni wrote:

I thought O2 had stopped their O2 email service a while back?

Message 17 of 24

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@browni wrote:

@Beenherebefore wrote:

There's no email address top LHS but there is at top RHS....my original main address shows with a drop-down that reveals both secondary addresses.

A week or so ago I could send and receive but obviously O2 have made some changes recently so although access is still there, send and receive just do not happen now.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 18 of 24

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@browni wrote:

I thought O2 had stopped their O2 email service a while back?

They have for most. The only O2 email accounts that seem to be working are those that were O2 broadband users after November last year.

#siwy
Message 19 of 24

browni
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@browni wrote:

@Beenherebefore wrote:

There's no email address top LHS but there is at top RHS....my original main address shows with a drop-down that reveals both secondary addresses.

A week or so ago I could send and receive but obviously O2 have made some changes recently so although access is still there, send and receive just do not happen now.

Sounds as if you are using the Sky|Yahoo webmail service to access your O2 email. Are you able access O2 webmail directly?

Try this link but it may require a couple of logon attempts:

http://www.mail.o2.co.uk/Login.jsp?app=mail

#siwy
Message 20 of 24