cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have an iPhone 4 with SIM and I'm buying a 5 off my friend. How will my contract transfer?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, so at the moment I am using an iPhone 4 which I am using my contract SIM on for my texts, minutes and data. I am buying an iPhone 5 off og my friend this week and would like to know how I can use the iPhone 5 with my contract? As they require two different SIM cards how would I go about having it transferred to the new nano sim that I have ordered in the post?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144790 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Your old sim will turn off first so it may be a few hours until your new sim starts service.
Once your old sim turns off, just keep rebooting your new phone until you get service, say once every half hour.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

If you go to an O2 shop they'll transfer your contract and mobile number from your old sim to the new nano one.

Or ask for an account specific blank SIM card to be posted to You and perform the simswap yourself here http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk when you've recieved the nano sim. It takes from a few minutes to approximately 24 hours to fully settle. Turn airplane mode on and off to help the reset.

Service will stop in your old sim first.

Remember to perform a back up to icloud and or iTunes so your info can be transferred across to the new iPhone.
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, is it possible to follow this link when my SIM arrives http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/ and do it myself? Will it work?

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes.

When the new sim arrives in the post follow that link.

Make sure your friend removes their Apple Id in the iPhone 5 so you can key your own one in.
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, one last thing. Will I lose acess of the contract on my old SIM immediately after performing the swap? For example if it does end up taking hours, will I be able to use my original SIM in my iPhone 4 in the mean time?

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It depends on how busy the network is at the time you perform the sim tbh.

It can be minutes but upto 24 hours.

You'll be able to use the old sim until the process starts and then you'll get 'no service' showing in the status bar of the iPhone.
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 144790 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Your old sim will turn off first so it may be a few hours until your new sim starts service.
Once your old sim turns off, just keep rebooting your new phone until you get service, say once every half hour.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much!

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most welcome 😄
Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 144790 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
It's our pleasure slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 15