cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facetime setup on iPhone etc

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently was having issues with using Facetime between my iPhone and iPad. I managed to solve it by doing the following.

Basically when I was trying to Facetime my iPad from my iPhone, It would show on my iPhone's screen that my iPad was busy at this time, but yet the iPad rang once and went off.

Here's what I did:

On the iPad:

Go into Settings, down the left handside of the screen choose Facetime.

Next touch the Apple ID and sign in, and select email address for to be reached at.

Make sure in the YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT section,  that you only have the the email address ticked.

On the iPhone:

Go into Settings, scroll down until you see Facetime, touch this.  On the next screen, make sure that you ARE NOT signed in with Apple ID. And only have phone number selected, in the YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT, section.

Facetime should now work perfectly.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Great job fatboy, I may need this for talking to my mate in Australia, as his had the same issue.

Nicely done slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:
Great job fatboy, I may need this for talking to my mate in Australia, as his had the same issue.

Nicely done slight_smile

Thanks Toby.

Its a really good feature Facetime.

Facetime works on iPod Touch's, iPad's and obviously iPhone's.

It works over either wifi or since iOS 6 over mobile data. From what I've read on other forums though, Facetime uses approximately 3 MB mobile data per minute.

Let me know if my guide sorted out your friends issue slight_smile

Message 3 of 27

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
will do!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 27

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Basically when I was trying to Facetime my iPad from my iPhone, It would show on my iPhone's screen that my iPad was busy at this time, but yet the iPad rang once and went off.

Here's what I did:

On the iPad:

Go into Settings, down the left handside of the screen choose Facetime.

Next touch the Apple ID and sign in, and select email address for to be reached at.

Make sure in the YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT section,  that you only have the the email address ticked.

On the iPhone:

Go into Settings, scroll down until you see Facetime, touch this.  On the next screen, make sure that you ARE NOT signed in with Apple ID. And only have phone number selected, in the YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT, section.

Facetime should now work perfectly.

Mmm, there's a problem with doing this though... 

(I just did some tests, borrowing a family members iPad (so different Apple ID), testing with my iPad and iPhone.) 

Who FaceTimes themselves? The reason for FT, is so that other Apple device users trying to contact you can do so, which you'll be able to pick-up on any of your devices. 

With the method above only one or the other device will ring when they contact you. 

When they use your phone number for FT => only your iPhone rings for FT. 

When they use your email for FT => only your iPad rings for FT. 

Hence, problems occur when you have only one or the other device with you at any one time... 

eg 1. 

I don't carry my iPad everywhere, so I would miss FT calls instigated via my email address. 

eg 2. 

At home upstairs on iPad and left my iPhone downstairs, so I would miss FT calls instigated via my phone number. 

Of course, it'd be nice to be able to do both:  yourself being able to FT each of your other devices (FT yourself – why though?), and also be contactable via all your contact methods on all of your devices. 

But this isn't possible:  it's one or the other (with the preference for most users being on everyone else being able to contact me on all my devices). 

Message 5 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have all 3 of my devices linked to my number and when someone rings my iPhone it then also calls my macbook and iPad
Message 6 of 27

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

What about someone FT-ing you via email though?

Message 7 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

everyone has my number, so will would they facetime my email address??

EDIT - its also setup that i can be reached by email address aswell, but my number is the caller ID

Message 8 of 27

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
3mb per minute? Sounds very low. Unless its compressed video streaming?:/

Not disputing what you've read just 720p downloads are much higher than that aren't they?

My figures put 720p recording around 75mb including mp3 audio(I presume that's what's used?)

Double the figure for download/uploading data simultaneously puts it 150mb a minute.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 9 of 27

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

everyone has my number, so will would they facetime my email address??

EDIT - its also setup that i can be reached by email address aswell, but my number is the caller ID

You may not have given someone your phone number, but they have your email (or emails — you can set-up many email addresses to work with FT, in fact). 

Besides, your setup is not the way the OP and myself are talking about though anyway — we are talking about contactability using phone number AND email.  And how that works doing it one way or the other. 

Message 10 of 27