O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
Mike_C

Credit check/Security deposit - worried

Guys,

I have an current o2 contract however I am looking to let my wife use that while I move to the iPhone. I registered with CPW but failed their credit check. However when I rang o2 they said if I go in store and fail the credit check I will have to pay £100 security deposit (fine with me) and I receive a rebate after 3 months. My local o2 store have said this is not correct - if I fail the credit check I do not get a phone, simple as that. Does anybody know what will happen if I go instore and the credit check is rejected - would the fac tthat I have an exsisting o2 contact help?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
elastictangent

I'm not sure but can you get to an O2 shop today or tomorrow and get them to credit check you? That's what I would do.
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
scottgaz9

No one is sure m8..some say yes you will get credit scored again ..however i have been told no you wont.... bit of a shambles
Please use plain text.
Mike_C

I'm not sure but can you get to an O2 shop today or tomorrow and get them to credit check you? That's what I would do.

I can't unfortunately, I am in work. Bit gutted really as we desperately need a new phone and the iphone fits the bill.
Please use plain text.
hazdageez

it depends on the credit score that comes back.

you could get a straight pass, or a pass with 150 deposit or a pass with 350 deposit

or you could get a straight fail.
Please use plain text.
Neph

I really can't see why existing customers would need to undergo a new credit check; new customers yes, but not existing customers.

What would be the reasoning behind it?

Existing customers have already been credit checked by 02, why would they need to be checked again just because they're getting a new handset?

Do 02 re-carry out credit checks on customers at intervals over the course of a contract, even if the customer isn't upgrading/signing a new contract? I don't think so.

Existing customers have, presumably, been paying their current iPhone bills since November last year, getting a new handset should really see no change to this. If 02 insist on stupidly rechecking even existing customers then they're creating more work for themselves. They don't stand to gain anything from it, even if an existing customer fails the check; they get a £100 deposit for 3 months before they have to pay it back.

Why the hell do they insist on payment by credit card only for the iPhone anyways?
Please use plain text.
Mike_C

Why the hell do they insist on payment by credit card only for the iPhone anyways?

Can you not pay by debit card (Visa)?
Please use plain text.
Neph

Probably can.

I guess what I shoulda said was "Why the hell can't y'just pay with cash anyways?"

I'd much rather just hand over cash, especially when this upgrades on £99.

In and out in 5 mins.
Please use plain text.
northernscum

Credit check

This is absolute rubbish, I received an email this morning stating I have failed my credit check. I have worked in the same job for over 18 years and have lived at my present address since 1999 and have never defaulted on any payments or been refused credit.
Why oh why can't O2 or the CPW be truthful and just say they were caught with their pants down?
Please use plain text.
fiftyfive

if i passed their credit check, anyone should be able to...
Please use plain text.