cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Security Policy Update fails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today I have a notification on my Galaxy S4 that there is a Security Policy Update available. It's from Samsung and designed to make their Android devices more secure. However, after accepting the data policy, it consitently fails with the error "Update failed due to network issues".

This is on the same wifi network that downloads email and browses the web perfectly fine. There is no update available via Samsung Kies.

There are similar posts on the Vodafone forums and there are unverified claims that Samsung have released the update notification without releasing the update itself.

Does anyone know the facts about the cause or solution to this problem?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

karky69
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have suddenly had the same thing happening. It's not just o2 my partner on Vodafone and getting same message. I too have tried several times to update with no joy. Any help o2?
Message 2 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could e mail them to ask.

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help
Message 3 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same issue... I have contacted Samsung via the Samsung link website... hopefully we'll get an answer...
Message 4 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

After a long webchat, and a restore to factory settings, my handset is going back to O2 for repair.

I'm not convinced it's a handset error.

I've just seen this: http://www.latinospost.com/articles/28268/20130923/samsung-galaxy-s4-update-release-date-new-patch-r...

It looks like Samsung are deploying patches in preparation for Android 4.3 next month. If they are, then the O2 techies are unaware of it. It looks like the communication between Samsung and O2 has failed. Again.

For that matter, it's also failed between Samsung and Vodafone and also EE. All the forums seem to have the same thread.

An iPhone 5S has never looked so appealing. Only another 18 painful months before I can upgrade.  😞

Message 5 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's gone on my phone! All I did was hit uninstall updates on the Samsung link  app settings & it said reset to factory app.. I also unchecked the notifications box on the apps settings.. I don't know if it's a permanent fix though..

Message 6 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

It came back... but I've nailed it! When you click on the security policy update notification.. a little box opens up with "App info" ... click on that & click "Force stop" I've also cleared the cache on that app.. Reading it's permissions it looks like a nasty piece of software.. It must be part of the Samsung system though... I'm now doing a factory reset to see where we go.. Forcing it to stop does work but it comes back when you reboot...

Message 7 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right.. here is an update to the "Security Policy Update" saga...  I've reset my Galaxy S4 to factory settings... & reinstalled my apps etc.. the policy update icon was there I clicked it &  it connected to its server & said "the latest update is installed" it then disappeared!  I just hope that this has finally sorted this stupid samsung issue out!

Message 8 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've found that this is an WhatsApp issue with there update. Either download a previous version or uninstall it....until the WhatsApp people sort it. 

Hope this helps 🙂 

Message 9 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144500 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions
The security updates are in preparation for the roll out of Knox. Think very carefully before you install it if you are keen on tinkering with your phone as Samsung are putting an end to it !

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/mobile/solution/security/samsung-knox
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 39