Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 - Jelly Bean upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

First time poster. Glad to be here!

My mum's just received her new Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 handset on Pay as You Go with O2.

Reading up on tech forums it appears Samsung have released Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for this make of handset back in September. Wikipedia confirms this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Ace_2

However, when I look at the phone's About Phone page in Settings, it displays the Android version as 2.3.6 (Gingerbread).

When I try an "over the air" update or use Samsung's Kies software I am told the firmware is up to date.

How do I update my mum's handset to the most recent released software?

Any assistance gratefully received!

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have Google'd a little harder:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/02/01/official-android-jelly-bean-updates-for-samsung-galaxy-note-n7...

Turns out 22nd April is the date. Plus whatever delay O2 impose applying their tweaks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
Nope, definitely not and nor will it be. 2.3.6 is the latest and it may get ICS but will never get JB.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

First time poster. Glad to be here!

My mum's just received her new Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 handset on Pay as You Go with O2.

Reading up on tech forums it appears Samsung have released Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for this make of handset back in September. Wikipedia confirms this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Ace_2

However, when I look at the phone's About Phone page in Settings, it displays the Android version as 2.3.6 (Gingerbread).

When I try an "over the air" update or use Samsung's Kies software I am told the firmware is up to date.

How do I update my mum's handset to the most recent released software?

Any assistance gratefully received!

Remember that Wikipedia is as reliable as a chocolate teapot, it can be edited by anybody with an account as well. 

Trust in the MI5 as he knows his stuff.

Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have Google'd a little harder:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/02/01/official-android-jelly-bean-updates-for-samsung-galaxy-note-n7...

Turns out 22nd April is the date. Plus whatever delay O2 impose applying their tweaks.

Message 4 of 24

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

GSMArena is usually more reliable for information like this or even www.sammobile.com.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it my imagination or do samsung release an update as a pre cursor to a launch of a new phone. Reports suggest S4 release is end of April???

Message 7 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
Based on the Ace 2 specs, theoretically it could run 4.1 (how well remains to be seen), but it certainly won't be able to run 4.2. I love the fact that Ukraine will start the roll out... Just appeals to my sense of humour slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 8 of 24

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Welcome HiFiHair,

Great to have you here!

I'll send you a message soon slight_smile

Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooh. Intriguing!

Message 10 of 24