cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone damaged but out of warranty - need advice!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My phone (LG Optimus L3) is approximately two months out of its warranty, but has recently become damaged after it was lost and returned to me!

The LCD display is completely ruined, I can still use the touch screen to control the phone, but obviously can't see anything!

I'm thinking about taking it back to Carphone Warehouse (where I bought it) for a repair, but I need some advice.

How much is it likely to cost? I know I can get a quote from CW, but I can't get there until Monday, so I'd just like an idea.

How long will it take? I have a "back-up" phone, but would like this one back ASAP!

Would it be better to take it into an O2 shop, or CW? I can get to one of CW's "repair hubs", and can also get to an O2 shop.

I can't afford to replace this phone at all, and whilst I do have a back-up phone, it's not at all suitable for the long-term.

I hope I've put enough information in; I'm quite upset about this and would like some answers/reassurance! Thank you!

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I would get a couple of quotes maybe from CPW and another local repairer. As to estimates, it's really difficult to say without knowing exactly what's wrong with the phone. If you send it through O2 you would probably be looking around £80-100 I would guess.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I would get a couple of quotes maybe from CPW and another local repairer. As to estimates, it's really difficult to say without knowing exactly what's wrong with the phone. If you send it through O2 you would probably be looking around £80-100 I would guess.

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thanks.

It's the LCD display, most of the screen is white with coloured lines. The touch screen stills works, as I can unlock it and see some of my background on the parts that aren't too damaged.

That's expensive, though. Actually more than I paid for the phone new from CW!

Message 3 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23224 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

It's more than you paid for the phone because the phone was probably included in the contract you took out and the cost is subsidised. Get an estimate from CPW for the repair and also look for refurbished ones online, if you like that phone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 16

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Best option is to try a local trader. I think the repair would possibly cost more than the phone is worth.

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Pay as You Go, I didn't take out a contract - or at least, I didn't sign anything. Thanks for the reply!

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, that looks likely. Thanks!
Message 7 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23224 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

If you Google it you can find a new one to buy for under £72.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 16

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I had a quick look and saw a LCD repair for £24.99 but you post your phone off to them.

Message 9 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It's Pay as You Go, I didn't take out a contract - or at least, I didn't sign anything. Thanks for the reply!

LOL you don't sign anything if you do take out a contract, just thought I'd mention it. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 16