cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone damaged but out of warranty - need advice!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My phone (LG Optimus L3) is approximately two months out of its warranty, but has recently become damaged after it was lost and returned to me!

The LCD display is completely ruined, I can still use the touch screen to control the phone, but obviously can't see anything!

I'm thinking about taking it back to Carphone Warehouse (where I bought it) for a repair, but I need some advice.

How much is it likely to cost? I know I can get a quote from CW, but I can't get there until Monday, so I'd just like an idea.

How long will it take? I have a "back-up" phone, but would like this one back ASAP!

Would it be better to take it into an O2 shop, or CW? I can get to one of CW's "repair hubs", and can also get to an O2 shop.

I can't afford to replace this phone at all, and whilst I do have a back-up phone, it's not at all suitable for the long-term.

I hope I've put enough information in; I'm quite upset about this and would like some answers/reassurance! Thank you!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

kernowman
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

If you have home insurance, your phone might be covered

if not take out out some

Or you could try replacing the screen yourself

Saw one on ebay selling for £7.50

And there are videos on YouTube showing you how to do it

Message 11 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@kernowman wrote:

If you have home insurance, your phone might be covered

if not take out out some

You can't take out a policy after the event, as it would be fraud.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely agree about that being fraud to take out an insurance policy after the damage has been done. 

It's definitely worth checking your home insurance though.  I took out insurance a while after I got my phone but, when our home insurance renewal came through it turned out that I was covered so I cancelled the separate policy.  A claim may push up your premium though so that's something to take into account.

Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

f it's two months outside of warranty... Was the Warranty for two years (I.e. was it a new phone on a new contract whebn you started with it?) If so, is upgrading an option?

Message 14 of 16

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

f it's two months outside of warranty... Was the Warranty for two years (I.e. was it a new phone on a new contract whebn you started with it?) If so, is upgrading an option?

The OP already said it was PAYG slight_smile

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops! My bad.
Message 16 of 16