cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got a Galaxy Note 3 on a £40+ a month contract and I think it's ridiculous that I can't get Android updates in good time. Lollipop has been out for ages and nothing. Also I'm getting Google hangout has stopped working error messages popping up every hour when I don't even have it installed. Apps keep reappearing even though I disable them and don't want them. All this o2 and samsung bloat ware is ridiculous. I won't be buying android again that's for sure and don't see how 02 is worth the money. Rant over.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123393 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Did you get your Note 3 from O2 or buy it sim free elsewhere? The reason I ask is I have a Note 3 but it was bought outright from CPW ...and I haven't got the Lollipop update yet. As far as I know it has been rolled out to all O2 branded Note 3's re your other problems.... we have a Samsung expert on here @MI5 He may be able to advise you further....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, thanks for responding. I bought it from CPW on a 2 year o2 contract. So I'd guess that means I'm on O2 proper as they are the ones who bill me direct.
Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123393 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

If @MI5 was online he would ask you for the CSC of the phone. He would then tell you whether it is O2 branded or not.... Sadly I haven't got that level of expertise....yet...Smiley Very Happy

What I can tell you is the Note 3 was the last to get it. Even though the O2 branded models are getting Lollipop... its a slow rollout for them.......but not a sign for me....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Hangouts is installed as part of the Androud OS but you don't have to use it.

Try turning Hangouts off and use the default messaging app instead:

Messages Settings

Use Messages settings to configure options for your text and multimedia messages, including message limits, size settings, and notifications.

Note: If you choose a default messaging app other than Messages (for example, Google Hangouts), you will not be able to use the Messages app unless you restore it as the default messaging app.

1. Press K Home and tap Messaging app icon Messages.
  2. Tap Menu key > Settings.
  3. Configure message settings:
  • Default messaging app: Set the default app for your phone (Messages) to use for text and multimedia messages.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123393 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Incidentally to identify your Note 3 CSC you dial *#1234# wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If it's from cpw then it's up to Samsung to issue your software update, not O2.
O2 only issue software updates for O2 branded phones purchased directly from the network.
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 145097 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
CPW only sell generic unbranded handsets, so you don't have an o2 phone, your updates will come directly from Samsung and they haven't released Lollipop yet for the Note 3.
When you do get the update you will need to do a factory reset to optimise the OS and that will fix your other problems too.
Hangouts isn't the default message app for Samsung anyway.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 8 of 8