cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android system high usage causing excessive battery drain

Anonymous
Not applicable
Surely some clever person has figured out a better solution to battery drain causes other than turning off utilities. Battery monitor app shows 72% use of android system over five hours causing 40% battery drain and excessive heat. Any advice other than turn off Wifi/Data/GPS/Bluetooth etc would be most welcome. Action taken so far: cleared Cache,factory reset,uninstalled all apps,also using Lean droid app to turn off Wifi, data and Bluetooth when screen is off.Thank you.
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
As you have done all that there must be something wrong with the hardware.
If you are still under warranty, put the phone back to stock and contact the manufacturer for a repair or replacement.
The heat and battery drain is been caused by the processor running constantly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
As you have done all that there must be something wrong with the hardware.
If you are still under warranty, put the phone back to stock and contact the manufacturer for a repair or replacement.
The heat and battery drain is been caused by the processor running constantly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers, Thanks for the advice, will do.
Message 3 of 11

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

First things first.

Which handset do you have?

Which version of Android do you have?

You can get this in the settings > About Phone > Software Version

Do you have any widgets on the front screen like a weather app or Social Networking things like Twitter, Facebook or similar.

The chances are resetting the handset to tthe factory default will fix whatever is causing the huge CPU spike.

OK, so just re-read your post.

As well the system and application cache, there is also a run-time cache (Dalvik) which should have been reset when you did a factory refresh. So I would also look at your processes to see if there is any dominant system hooks. What's the system idle percentage?

Again it might a build error in the version of Android, so it will be worth investigating if the manufacterer has an update patch. Without knowing much about your handset I can't really help any more than that.

P.S. I am no expert except on occasional weekend.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 11

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Let us know how you get on @Anonymous 

Thanks for the advice @MI5 .

If anyone finds any other great tips to inhibit high battery drain, do let post them. We could perhaps get a guide together too containing lots of tips if I can find enough tips around the community slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

If anyone finds any other great tips to inhibit high battery drain, do let post them. We could perhaps get a guide together too containing lots of tips if I can find enough tips around the community slight_smile

Turning off all data connections when phone is idling will give any phone a massive boost in battery life, but it inhibits the features available to a smartphone user.

ROM's make a big difference too and some apps that are poorly written will suck the life out of a battery.

There is no "one solution fits all" as every scenario is different, so in order to troubleshoot accurately you need to identify the culprit so it can be isolated.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

If anyone finds any other great tips to inhibit high battery drain, do let post them. 

... Turn your phone off...

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

... Turn your phone off...

My Mother does that.

She only turns the phone on when she wants to use it then turns it off immediately afterwards - Most irritating !!

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

My mum is the same! She gets £20 credit every two years. Whether she needs it or not, and is using an old nokia I retired in 2004! LOL

Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 10 of 11