Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go: Introducing "Rolling Plans"

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

rolling-plan-curved-header-xxl-2000-270922.jpg

It's an exciting day. Today we're launching "Rolling Plans", a new Pay As You Go tariff that offers a new, contract-free way for customers to stay connected flexibly and minimise the need for manual top-ups.

More info on Rolling Plans

O2 Rolling Plans offer a new, contract-free way for customers to stay connected flexibly without needing to remember to top-up every month. Like our Big Bundle tariffs, Rolling Plans include allowances for minutes, texts and data – with options that include minutes for international calls from the UK to 42 countries (both mobile and landline). Rolling plans come with enhanced allowances - making them great value for money.

When you choose a Rolling plan, you set up paying for your monthly allowances using a credit or debit card. Once that’s done, your monthly payment will be taken automatically to make sure you always get your allowances – but there’s no contract. You’re in control and can choose to stop your Rolling plan any time - or switch to one of our Big Bundles. And if you need to start another Rolling Plan allowance early – for example, if you use all your data – no problem, you’ll be able to buy a new one to start any time.

rollingplans.gif

Getting set up with a Rolling Plans

Existing Pay As You Go customers will be able to use their existing SIM to register for Rolling Plans. New Pay As You Go customers can request a Rolling Plans SIM pack by getting in touch with our customer services or by visiting one of our stores. All customers must complete their Rolling plan set up on My O2.

What Rolling Plans are available?

All our Rolling Plans include unlimited minutes and texts, and we have anywhere from 10 to 150GB depending on your needs and budget. Currently we have the following tariffs available, but this can change with future offers so you'll always find the most up-to-date plans here, so please check it out.

• 10GB for £10
  • 25GB for £15
  • 50GB for £20
  • 150GB for £30

Rolling Plans FAQ's

See below an extensive list of FAQ's related to Roaming Plans. If you don't find your answer there, please feel free to ask in the comments below.

More info

Q. How do I order a free sim?

A. You can order a free sim for a Big Bundle or Rolling plan. Both are contract-free. Just choose the one best for you, enter your details, and we'll send you your free sim card. If you order your free sim Sunday–Thursday before 2pm, you'll receive it the next working day.

Q. What are Rolling plans?

A. A Rolling plan is a contract-free way for you to stay connected – without the need to top up. Rolling plans include an allowance for minutes, texts, and data. Extra options include minutes for international calls from the UK to 42 countries.

With a Rolling plan, you set up paying for your monthly allowance using your debit or credit card. Your monthly payment will be taken automatically, and your allowance will refresh. You can carry over up to 100% unused allowance, so you never lose out. You're in control and are free to change or stop your Rolling plan at any time.

Q. What's the difference between a Big Bundle and a Rolling plan?

A. Our Big Bundles and Rolling plan both give you an allowance for call minutes, texts, and data. With a Big Bundle, you top up each month, and we exchange the credit for your chosen Big Bundle.

With a Rolling plan, there’s no need to top up. You set up paying for your monthly allowance using your debit or credit card. Your monthly payment will be taken automatically, and your allowance will refresh. You can carry over up to 100% unused allowance, so you never lose out. You're in control and are free to change or stop your Rolling plan at any time.

Q. Do I need a contract and credit check for a Rolling plan?

A. No. Rolling plans are contract-free, and there's no credit check. You can choose to stop your Rolling plan at any time. If you do, you'll keep any allowances you've paid for. There's no minimum period to commit to.

Q. How does my Rolling plan payment work?

A. When you set up your Rolling plan, we'll safely store your debit or credit card details. We'll notify you four days before your next Rolling plan payment is due every month.

Q. Can I keep my number?

A. Yes. If you're moving from another network, we'll need your PAC before you can transfer. Once you've ordered and received your temporary O2 number, fill in a short form to keep your number. Find out more about keeping your number.

Q. Can I change tariff?

A. Yes. To switch to a new tariff, sign in to My O2 or call 2202 free from your O2 phone. You can do this once a month if you want to.

Q. Can I get Priority and other benefits with a Pay As You Go sim card?

A. Get access to all the best bits of O2, like Priority, but with the added benefit of full flexibility. There are no contracts, no credit checks, and the sim is free to order. Plus, you can claim £10 free O2 credit on all Big Bundles and a further £5 when you sign up to My O2.

Q. How can I top my free sim card?

A. You can top up online, or you can: call 4444 from your mobile, or use an E-Top Up card or buy a voucher anywhere you see the green top-up logo, or use the My O2 app

Q. How does data rollover work?

A. Data rollover is available on £10 and higher Big Bundles and Rolling plans. You can roll over up to 100% of your monthly data allowance. For example, if your monthly allowance is 7GB, you can roll over a maximum of 7GB into the next month.

You need to keep the same Bundle or plan and renew on the same date each month, or your data will expire.

Q. Which data Bolt Ons are available?

A. Click here to see our latest range of Pay As You Go data Bolt Ons

Q. Can I roam like at home?

A. Yes. We cover roaming in our Europe Zone as part of our Tariffs. So your data (subject to a roaming limit), minutes and text allowances will work in our Europe Zone, just like they do at home.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6672 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

Good idea. However not as cheap as Giffgaff who also offer 5G as a selling point.

We shall see how it goes as it is a crowded market out there for this type of SIM 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 36

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

You can get an unlimited esim for o2 on a similiar basis for £20 with 5G and Wifi Calling, I think this just confuses the o2 offering... and to be honest makes it a lot more complicated. 

Why not just bin bundles and move everyone to the rolling plans....

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 36

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36195 Posts
  • 230 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions
Message 4 of 36

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

Couple of questions based on the FAQs above @Chris_K ...

@Chris_K wrote:

Rolling Plans FAQ's

More info

A. You can order a free sim for a Big Bundle or Rolling plan. Both are contract-free. Just choose the one best for you, enter your details, and we'll send you your free sim card. If you order your free sim Sunday–Thursday before 2pm, you'll receive it the next working day.

A. A Rolling plan is a contract-free way for you to stay connected – without the need to top up. Rolling plans include an allowance for minutes, texts, and data. Extra options include minutes for international calls from the UK to 42 countries.

With a Rolling plan, you set up paying for your monthly allowance using your debit or credit card. Your monthly payment will be taken automatically, and your allowance will refresh. You can carry over up to 100% unused allowance, so you never lose out. You're in control and are free to change or stop your Rolling plan at any time.

A. Our Big Bundles and Rolling plan both give you an allowance for call minutes, texts, and data. With a Big Bundle, you top up each month, and we exchange the credit for your chosen Big Bundle.

With a Rolling plan, there’s no need to top up. You set up paying for your monthly allowance using your debit or credit card. Your monthly payment will be taken automatically, and your allowance will refresh. You can carry over up to 100% unused allowance, so you never lose out. You're in control and are free to change or stop your Rolling plan at any time.

A. No. Rolling plans are contract-free, and there's no credit check. You can choose to stop your Rolling plan at any time. If you do, you'll keep any allowances you've paid for. There's no minimum period to commit to.

A. Data rollover is available on £10 and higher Big Bundles and Rolling plans. You can roll over up to 100% of your monthly data allowance. For example, if your monthly allowance is 7GB, you can roll over a maximum of 7GB into the next month.

You need to keep the same Bundle or plan and renew on the same date each month, or your data will expire.

The points in bold and underlined are the ones I have questions about.

• Receiving your sim next working day - given the Royal Mail strike schedule, does that mean that sims will be delivered by another company (DPD, DHL, etc)?
  • Several times it is mentioned that you can carry up to 100% of your unused allowance. Does the allowance rollover several times? It says later on that you keep any allowance that you pay for...
    • So if I buy 10Gb in Jan and use 2Gb, 8Gb rolls into Feb, and if I use 2Gb in Feb 6Gb rolls into March?
  • What does the rollover apply to? The first couple of times it is mentioned it is not specified, but later it does say data.
  • However, the final point says that you need to keep the same bundle and renew on the same date or your data will expire - which contradicts keeping any allowance you pay for...

I know that you are simply publishing the information you get give Chris, but this plan and these comments don't all follow through...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I'm not sure which high flyer in the Telefonica/Virgin/O2 hierarchy came up with this but it seems like a very complicated mix of current bundles and 30 day contracts.

It apparently has to be set up by direct debit so if you decide you have carried enough data over you have to suspend or cancel the direct debit.

Mmn....jury's out on this one!

Message 6 of 36

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

It says its done on a Credit or Debit card, and you just stop it in myo2, I cant see any mention of Direct Debits...  Or so it seems... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 36

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Yes, I misread that but still.... I'm not sure of the commercial value of such a system when O2 struggle to get the simple things right.

Message 8 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 123119 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I better add this to the current PAYG top up guide. I'll just do a link to this. 🙄

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 36

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'm not sure which high flyer in the Telefonica/Virgin/O2 hierarchy came up with this but it seems like a very complicated mix of current bundles and 30 day contracts.

It apparently has to be set up by direct debit so if you decide you have carried enough data over you have to suspend or cancel the direct debit.

Mmn....jury's out on this one!

Hey @jonsie just wanted to clear up some confusion, but customers would pay for their Pay As You Go Rolling Plan by recurring card payment - not direct debit. A small but crucial difference to our traditional SIM Only plans, for instance.

@madasaf1sh wrote:

You can get an unlimited esim for o2 on a similiar basis for £20 with 5G and Wifi Calling, I think this just confuses the o2 offering... and to be honest makes it a lot more complicated. 

Why not just bin bundles and move everyone to the rolling plans....

With Rolling Plans, it's a 100% Pay As You Go product - meaning no contracts, no direct debits, no commitments. With our Pay Monthly SIM Only plans, while the 30-day offers give you flexibility with the commitment side of things, you'll have a direct debit and potentially a credit check linked to it - which are things some of our Pay As You Go customers just don't want.

Our new Pay As You Go Rolling Plans help to bring some of the benefits of a traditional contract sim to Pay As You Go sim without the contract, credit check or direct debit elements. But, Rolling Plans may not appeal to everyone that's on Pay As You Go - hence our Big Bundles are still here to stay.

@gmarkj wrote:

Couple of questions based on the FAQs above @Chris_K ...

@Chris_K wrote:

Rolling Plans FAQ's

More info

The points in bold and underlined are the ones I have questions about.

• Receiving your sim next working day - given the Royal Mail strike schedule, does that mean that sims will be delivered by another company (DPD, DHL, etc)?
  • Several times it is mentioned that you can carry up to 100% of your unused allowance. Does the allowance rollover several times? It says later on that you keep any allowance that you pay for...
    • So if I buy 10Gb in Jan and use 2Gb, 8Gb rolls into Feb, and if I use 2Gb in Feb 6Gb rolls into March?
  • What does the rollover apply to? The first couple of times it is mentioned it is not specified, but later it does say data.
  • However, the final point says that you need to keep the same bundle and renew on the same date or your data will expire - which contradicts keeping any allowance you pay for...

I know that you are simply publishing the information you get give Chris, but this plan and these comments don't all follow through...

Hey @gmarkj 

On the sim delivery question - All our sim deliveries are made via Royal Mail and if you order your free sim card by 12pm, in most cases you should get it the next working day (subject to location and Royal Mail delays). If you don't receive it the next day, please allow three working days and if it still hasn't arrived, you can chat to one of our agents.

On the 'what does rollover apply to' question - these Rolling Plans include unlimited minutes and texts, so it's just data that rolls over as there's no need to rollover minutes or texts, since it's unlimited. With regards to the data rollover element - the inclusive data in your bundle rolls into the next month only, so if you were on a 10GB plan for instance and used 2GB in Jan, 8GB would roll into Feb and give you 18GB. If you again only used 2GB, then the remainder of that months allowance (8GB, since you used 2GB of your 10GB) would carry into the following month giving you 18GB again.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 10 of 36