Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Access Denied" for pages on my own NAS when on O2 Mobile

MillmoorRon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After restarting my phone (which is necessary occasionally) I get blocked from my own html pages (hosted on my NAS) when using mobile data. It works fine over wi-fi.

The "Access Denied" page I get instead states:

This page has been blocked for either a legal or technical reason.
The most likely cause is that you have received a fraudulent text or email and we are blocking the website you are being asked to go to.
If you believe this is not the case or have a different issue then please contact customer services or use your MyO2 account through the app or online.
If you’re still unsure, check out https://community.O2.co.uk.

It eventually comes back but I'm not sure why. I need to be able to access these pages when I'm away from home.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this and how to stop it?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@MillmoorRon 

How are you accessing the NAS, is it over a rDNS service or direct via IP? 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 10

MillmoorRon
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's a dynamic DNS (DuckDNS.org) and my NAS updates automatically when my IP address is changed by ISP.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@MillmoorRon 

Lots of reported issues with Duck lately relating to security.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

madasaf1sh
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@MillmoorRon 

Yep DuckDNS.org, seems to get blocked across a number of ISP's every so often, as although its free, it is used by people trying to commit fraud and scams, so a lot of RBL (Realtime Blocklists) are sending these to be blocked. 

Message 5 of 10

MillmoorRon
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How do I unblock it?

It fixed itself within an hour or so on the previous occasions, but hasn't this time!

Message 6 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

Change your provider @MillmoorRon 

As we've said, Duck is a risk.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

madasaf1sh
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@MillmoorRon 

You need to contact DuckDNS as they are only ones who can do anything... And it will keep getting blocked..  

Have a look at setting up your own rDNS services using Linode (you will have to pay for computing but have a look at NetworkChuck he usually has a promo for $100 dollars credit).

Message 8 of 10

MillmoorRon
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a domain registered with Ionos. It turns out that they have an API which allows DDNS. This feature is well documented but not mentioned in the account settings. It needs to be activated first, and I only found out about it after some Googling! Hopefully this will sort my issues.

Message 9 of 10

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5904 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@MillmoorRon 

For five years, I was website manager for a small registered charity ; our domain registration and website hosting was with Ionos. I am sure that they will sort you out, as their customer service and technical staff were excellent. 

Ionos are not cheap, but my experience is that you get first class support from them.  

Message 10 of 10