Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No signal in France

nidostar
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an iPhone on an O2 monthly contract. I am in France on holiday at a destination I often visit. Previously I have had excellent all bars mobile phone coverage here. I can actually see the Orange telephone mast from the garden. However currently there is no Orange FR service at all. I can receive other services (Free, SFR, Bouygues) but the signals are very weak and occasional. Others at the house who have an Orange FR contract have no problem receiving a good signal. My phone's iOS is up to date. I have tried contacting O2 from here via landline but after 30 minutes in the queue I gave up. Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this, please? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144567 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27726 Solutions

@nidostar 

Some things to try:
Manually search for another network
Reboot the phone
Turn off 5g in network settings
If you have an iPhone change your data APN to "mobile.o2.co.uk"
If still not working then contact O2 to remove the Roaming bar on your account.
If you message O2 on Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram ( https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 17

nidostar
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5. I had seen these suggestions in other topics and tried all you suggest before posting. None of your suggestions have resolved the issue. Telephone contact with O2 failed for the reason I mentioned. I do not do Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. What next?

Message 3 of 17

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

nidostar
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you jonsie. I have tried contacting O2 via landline but ended up in a queue which I left after 30 minutes waiting. I can't see how Skype would help (do people still use Skype in the 2020s?). 

Message 5 of 17

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It was just an option as you have no signal on your phone

No one I know uses Skype but I have used it a number of times when in Thailand to call O2 and UK based banks. Oh....and changing a flight with Emirate which was great fun but expensive!

Message 6 of 17

nidostar
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks again. I find calls via WhatsApp to be the most convenient. But my problem is more to do with the inability to exchange SMS text messages or to make/receive calls from/to my mobile number. I wonder if O2 have fallen out with Orange FR such that the latter no longer facilitates roaming for the former. Bear in mind other French carriers appear to work. It's just that their signals where I am are extremely weak and keep disappearing when I need them.

Message 7 of 17

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10218 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@nidostar 

It could be that the Orange mast is not working correctly, hence you cant connect to... Orange FR roaming still works..

This page from Orange FR might help https://suivi-des-incidents.orange.fr/infos-couverture-mobile 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 17

nidostar
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks madasaf1sh. It was worth a try but sadly the link page shows I should be receiving an "excellente" signal. As indeed I was until January. As I mentioned above, others at the house who have Orange FR accounts appear to be receiving a good signal. It suggests a setting has been changed such that mine and my wife's iPhones no longer receive a signal. But then why are we able to get a signal from other providers when we visit nearby towns? Most odd.

Message 9 of 17

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

How long have you been in France?

Last year some new usage  (FUP) terms were introduced

Along with the 25GB per month limit there is a 63 day continuous usage limit restriction

Just wondering

Message 10 of 17