Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G data speed

fozzie_pinmill
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

5g data speed at postcode ip9 1ap is no better than 4g. How can the speed be increased? Is it possible that O2 throttles the data rate, if so can the throttle be removed? Very disappointed buying 5G service, expensive Zyxel NR7101 router, which shows 5G connected, and excellent signal strength (I can see the mast from where the antennae is!) and still only 40Mbps download speed 😞

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36734 Posts
  • 237 Topics
  • 1636 Solutions

Take a look here, @fozzie_pinmill - https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/4g-network-slow/m-p/1668937/highlight/true#M41746

Also note a regular 5G phone or Tablet SIM will not work in a mobile router - that config is not supported by O2, you need a Data SIM from O2 for that purpose (phone SIM may work occasionally, but not reliably).

Also note backhauls for 5G are sometimes 4G until the network core is upgraded from your mast.

Message 2 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I specifically ordered the mobile broadband SIM, with unlimited data, paying £34 a month, and not £26 as for a phone, but it really seems as though my SIM is being throttled by O2, as it is pointless paying for %G hardware and service, and not seeing any improvement.

Message 3 of 21

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6847 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1529 Solutions

Assume you are near the Marina at Wolverstone which is on the edge of 5G coverage. I know the area, had a mooring there. Always was a bit hit and miss

My Network is showing a mast problem. Don't know if that will make a big difference. I suspect you won't get blistering speeds. On average O2 are the slowest network.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 21

Oxonian
  • 6665 Posts
  • 121 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@fozzie_pinmill 

Have you checked that the APN settings are correct are set out in the thread to which @pgn provided a link ? 

Message 5 of 21

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6847 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1529 Solutions

@pgn Mentioned back haul you need good 4G for good 5G.  Stand Alone 5G on O2 is some way off and you will have to persuade the NIMBY brigade on the peninsula to accept masts.

Here is my 5G figures at home. Again on the edge Horrendous latency and upload

1000007718.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have looked at the post, but can not see any APN config info?

Message 7 of 21

Oxonian
  • 6665 Posts
  • 121 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

Sorry @fozzie_pinmill, I was looking at the wrong thread. I think that @MI5 has set out what you need to use in the last post on this thread :-

O2 5G settings for TCL HH500E - O2 Community

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/O2-5G-settings-for-TCL-HH500E/td-p/1534917

Does that make a difference ? 

Message 8 of 21

fozzie_pinmill
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I tried the auto APN setting, the manual settings as shown in that post, as well as a different manual config using idata.o2.co.uk from myapnsettings.com - speed always the same. I can see that the router is connected as 5G, with a signal strength of -85dbm, which is considered "excellent". As O2 somehow know whether the device the sim is in is a phone, or tablet, or mobile bb, I can't help thinking they must be able to throttle.

It would seem very misleading to customers, if after all the hype they put behind how wonderful 5G is, and selling phones as 5G, that they do not really support it, if the backhaul networks can not run the speed.

I will try customer support, but suspect I'll end spending ages on hold, and then speak with someone that does not have the tech know-how, but fingers crossed I can get to second level support...

If all else fails, I'll put a complaint into Ofcom that they are selling a product that does not perform as claimed.

Message 9 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145316 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27890 Solutions

40mbps will be considered as acceptable and not likely to improve until O2 update their infrastructure.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 21