cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading via Carphone Warehouse

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a long term o2 pay monthly customer.  I have had my handset for about 30 months so after the device was paid off I have been paying airtime only because of the Refresh scheme. 

Am now keen to upgrade and want the S7 in silver but as o2 do not offer that colour I am considering upgrading with Carphone Warehouse - still on o2.  If I go ahead - can anyone tell me what will happen after I have had the new contract for 24 months as obviously going through CP Warehouse I will no longer be on o2 Refresh scheme.  My other option would be to buy the handset outright and continue using my current SIM with the reduced airtime cost.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123472 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Once your 24 month contract is up with CPW you will be free to go where you want. If you can afford to buy a handset outright and go sim only then that is the option I would choose. I have my own handset and a 12 month sim only contract with O2. Or you could continue with airtime as you mention...Obviously the choice is yours. Not only look for the best deal...but the best network coverage for your needs...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 123472 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Once your 24 month contract is up with CPW you will be free to go where you want. If you can afford to buy a handset outright and go sim only then that is the option I would choose. I have my own handset and a 12 month sim only contract with O2. Or you could continue with airtime as you mention...Obviously the choice is yours. Not only look for the best deal...but the best network coverage for your needs...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 145198 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27886 Solutions
After 24 months with cpw you would have to upgrade again or switch to a sim only deal and keep your s7. If you did nothing you would still carry on paying the same each month
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also with CPW you won't get the perks or benefits of o2 Refresh
Message 4 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12164 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1131 Solutions

As everyone has already said, the only difference is that you won't be on a refresh deal - to buy yourself out you would multiply the remaining term by your normal monthly amount.

Most who can choose your final option - buy the handset outright and go SIM only.

It all depends on which one works out best for you, both in terms of cost (monthly and total) and getting the best deal.

The caution is that once your contract is up is that you need to swap to a sim only or new contract, otherwise you will overpay (as you are still paying the normal monthly amount)...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Buying the handset outright from CPW will save you around £80 and it will be sim free....

Message 6 of 6