cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your account is changing. You’ll need to set up a new, additional Direct Debit/s

SpeedyPete
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

On the 17th of January I received an email with the same heading as above and today I received a letter through the post with the same subject.

It says I can set this up by calling 202 or 0344 809 0202. No one I speak to knows anything about this, and they, 3 different support staff, have said my current DD is active and there is no need to add a new one. 

I have to assume this is not legit, but where’s the scam angle. All numbers to do this are actual o2 numbers.  The email has come from news@02-email.co.uk. I have received previous commas from this email about the usual annual RPI increases. 

However I’ve noticed that this latest email has a different, though correct address for me, both Apple email addresses, just one ends in .me and other in .mac. 

Looks legit, but something odd about the whole thing..

Anyone cast some light on this?

cheers

I

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@SpeedyPete 

DD details in this guide Guide: How to Pay Your Bill (Contract) 

but I'd wait before doing anything or check with your bank if O2 have recently changed anything.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@SpeedyPete 

If you're being transferred to the new billing system, O2 will set up new DD's for you.

I've not known anyone be asked to set up one themselves though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

SpeedyPete
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for getting back to me. It’s a really odd request as they already have my details but despite what the letter says there is no way for me to do this myself, either in myo2 or via phone 🤷‍♂️IMG_0672.jpeg

Message 3 of 5

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5874 Posts
  • 101 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@SpeedyPete 

You can check that the proposed DD is heading for O2's bank account. That is referenced in here :-

Guide: How to Pay Your Bill (Contract) 

If the money is heading for O2, it is difficult to see what the scam is. 

EDIT : Just seen the letter that you have posted @SpeedyPete. If you set up the DD in MyO2 as requested, it isn't immediately obvious how the scam would work ! Hence, I am tentatively veering towards the view that it is legitimate.   

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@SpeedyPete 

DD details in this guide Guide: How to Pay Your Bill (Contract) 

but I'd wait before doing anything or check with your bank if O2 have recently changed anything.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5