cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Account

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon,

I've had an account set-up for a few years now w/ o2, for devices in which my son has used i.e the phone's in my name, he uses the device, and pays me the amount I'm billed monthly .. However, now the device is paid off etc., and I'm just paying a monthly amount for data/usage, it makes it easier if we cut out the middle man (myself), and the device is changed into his name, along with the monthly payments to his account. 

What's the proccess for this? 

Cheers

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

You will need to contact CS. Your son will need a new contract and credit checks http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Only customer services can do this for you....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

You will need to contact CS. Your son will need a new contract and credit checks http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Only customer services can do this for you....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23138 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Anonymous You would need to speak to customer service. 202 on your mobile. If the device is paid off he wouldn't need to put that in his name. If your son is looking to get a sim only contract in his name he would need to pass a credit check. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Unfortunately it isn't straightforward as your son will need to be credit checked. You both need to call CS on 202 or go into a store together.
You will be cancelling and he will be taking a new account (subject to credit checks) and then once he is approved, you can transfer the number to his new account so he can retain the same number he's been using for the past few years.
Sounds like he will need a sim only account unless he wants a new phone at the same time too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers guys.

@Bambino - so because the device is paid off - which it is - I could just change the payment details to his name/bank, but still keep the device in my name? 

This perhaps seems the easiest option, given it still brings me to the conclusion myself and my son want - for him to be paying the monthly bill directly, as apposed to paying myself once I've been billed.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Cheers guys.

@Bambino - so because the device is paid off - which it is - I could just change the payment details to his name/bank, but still keep the device in my name? 

This perhaps seems the easiest option, given it still brings me to the conclusion myself and my son want - for him to be paying the monthly bill directly, as apposed to paying myself once I've been billed.

Yes you can but if he defaults on payments, O2 will come after you for the money.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

^^^^^ This is why, if you feel he should be responsible for making all payments on time...he should be given full responsibility of his own contract. I have two sons and know how easy it is for them to fall back on the bank of Mum and Dad....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

Bambino
  • 23138 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cheers guys.

Yes you can but if he defaults on payments, O2 will come after you for the money.

@Anonymous If the device is already paid off, there's nothing you need to do regarding the phone itself. The phone is yours to do with as you please, and if you want to give it to your son, then that's that. What you do need to do is cancel the airtime so you're not billed for it any longer, and your son needs to set up his own account, which will require a credit check, and to get the phone number he's using changed to his account. This, I believe will require you to both be present when you call customer service. 

If any of that isn't accurate I'm sure one of the other regular contributors here will come along to amend what I've said. Please come back and let us know how you get on. Best of luck.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

Bambino wrote:

If any of that isn't accurate I'm sure one of the other regular contributors here will come along to amend what I've said. Please come back and let us know how you get on. Best of luck.:smileywink:

Hopefully it's correct or else we are both wrong slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Bambino
  • 23138 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Hopefully it's correct or else we are both wrong slight_smile

You? Wrong? Never. 

Me? Plenty of times. That's why I put in that addendum.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2