Sim/Account Ownership Letter - About to throw my phone out the window

olw_josh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Frustrating rant ahead. 

Bit of context, I bank with Monzo and have a PAYG sim with o2

Monzo have asked for me to verify my telephone number with them by providing a "Sim Ownership Letter / Account Ownership Letter / Sim Purchase Reciept" from O2 as my number is currently registered to someone else's account, so I need to prove its mine in order to rectify this. 

Fast forward 4 days later, I've spoken with 4445 (the supposed PAYG team) on four separate occasions with zero success, nobody knows what I'm talking about and say they can't help me as they can't view any details of me having an account, they tell me to go to the physical store or try live chat 

Both live chat and the store tell me it's not possible and point me back to 4445 the customer service team. 

I've tried to raise a complaint but nobody ever responds, I've tried live chat over and over (how awful of a service btw) and keep getting the same copy and pasted messages before the chat terminates and a follow up "rate your interaction" text comes through.

Why is it so hard as a PAYG customer to get any sort of proof that it's indeed registered to me and that I pay the top up each month, why is it so hard to speak to someone without them transferring me to a different department or sending me round in a loop?

Anyone have any idea that will prevent me from throwing my phone out the window 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@olw_josh 

Try asking on social media Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23219 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@olw_josh How, exactly, would throwing your phone out the window resolve your issue? You also said in your post 'my number is currently registered to someone else's account', so it technically isn't your number. You will need the person the account is registered to to contact O2 to sort this out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 16

olw_josh
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It is my number, it’s registered to me on o2 with my name, date of birth etc 

You misread the point, a random someone in the world has used my number when setting up a Monzo account, I guess by accident. So now monzo need to check this number is really mine.

as for throwing my phone out the window, the customer service I have received so far is beyond atrocious and being sent round in loops is disrupting my zen (but it’s a figure of speech, not everything needs to be taken literally) 

Message 4 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23219 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@olw_josh I know it's a figure of speech.

You didn't say that it was a random someone who somehow took over your account. It sounded like you knew who it was. Do you have any idea how that happened? They probably won't, but have you asked your bank to help?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@olw_josh 

Anything you can show from your MyO2 that would help ?

My O2

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 6 of 16

olw_josh
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I haven’t got any clue how it’s happened.

If I had to guess there’s a few things that could have happened:

- my number has had a previous life with someone else and it’s been rehashed when given to me 

- the other random human when creating a monzo account has made a mistake and entered my number instead of there’s 

But to be honest, this isn’t the point, Monzo have been incredible customer service wise - Monzo have asked me for a document from o2 which is usually called one of three things (as outlined in original post) and have confirmed that they have had examples of this type of doc from other PAYG o2 customers to verify telephone numbers so it should be relatively straight forward for them to verify my number on there side once I have it to give them.

My issue is talking to anybody at o2 who has any idea of what I’m talking about without pointing me in the direction of another team/department/method of communication - even the ‘supervisor’ wasn’t available and I was told it would take them 5-8 days to even address me

The myo2 app doesn’t provide any letterheaded official documents to download that show my name + my number and screenshots don’t cut it 

Also as a PAYG customer the live chat service isn’t available, it’s only for pay monthly customers according to them (someone should tell the phone team on 4445 that as they keep sending me back to it)

Message 7 of 16

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36512 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

You can get O2 via Social Media to send you a Proof of Usage, looks like this, @olw_josh 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple/Phone-barring/m-p/1614704/highlight/true#M170951

Do persist with nudging O2 via your preferred channel, all ways in the link just below - it took about 3 days of occasional nudges to get them to engage with me some months back, but at 08:00 one Sunday morning they reached out, and later that day I had received an apology and a refund, in my account as a credit. So it goes. Good luck!

Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

Indeed, socials suggested at the top of the page.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 9 of 16

olw_josh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wow, thank you - four days of speaking to customer service through the phone and live chat and nobody thought to mention this.

I’ve just messaged on Instagram and X and will cross my fingers. 

Message 10 of 16