Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SE London 4g/5g non-existent

HD2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Anyone else having major issues with mobile Internet in SE London? Been well below average speeds for 4g/5g since I moved to o2 (ironically from Virgin) last April. In November/December 2023 my average speeds dropped to about 1Mbps...worse than 3g! 

Apparently there's a faulty mast causing everyone to connect to a single mast out in East London somewhere...how long does it take to fix a mast? Given this is one of the biggest providers of mobile connectivity in the country!!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@HD2 You can check what's happening here: O2 | Service Status

No network guarantees 100% uptime, and no network will tell you how long a mast repair will take.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6610 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

I think there will be more than one available mast in East London. 

A mast out may not be due to a fault, it may be decommissioned due to site rental agreements. Replacing masts in such situations is a nightmare, due usually to planning permission and nimbies.

Pure conjecture of course.

What does https://status.o2.co.uk/ say?

Also, if you still have a Virgin SIM go to an O2 store with Photo ID and get it replaced.

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 12

HD2
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.  I'm very aware of the status page. Keeps saying the same thing. It's been out for almost two months now. I'm requesting a deadlock letter to get out of my contract its that bad. Apologues but "Not guaranteed 100% uptime" is not very helpful and doesn't address any of my questions. The network is up, it's just terrible! I'm paying for premium service and getting worse than 20 years ago. 

Message 4 of 12

HD2
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Their website literally says there's a fault. It's been saying the same thing for two months. I can't be the only one with this issue.

Message 5 of 12

Enlli
  • 6610 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

O2 is vastly oversubscribed in areas like London

Taking around 3 million Virgin users on board has not helped

As you are requesting a deadlock letter then I assume you have put in an Official Complaint.

They are taking about 8 weeks at present

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@HD2 To add: If you haven't lodged a formal complaint yet, here's how: How to Complain | Help | O2

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 12

SimonD86
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, I have suffered for the past 2 years with O2's ridiculously slow and unreliable data speeds, their network is becoming unusable for me both here in Worcestershire and in London (which I travel between frequently for work). 

I luckily have 2 sims, an O2 sim and a Three sim, everytime Three out performs O2 in performance, speed, and reliability. To be honest no matter where I am in the country Three is always the better network.

Unfortunately, there is no hope whatsoever that O2 will upgrade their network infrastructure, start using better technology and utilise all their spectrum like Three does, a move that would mean ditching what they currently use which are slower long range masts and/or antennas, outdated infrastructure, and poor spectrum utilisation, so don't expect it to improve anytime soon, and actually you can expect it to get worse when O2 are forced to switch off their 2G and 3G networks next year.

I have a sense that unless O2 bring themselves upto at least the same speed as EE or Three then we may see them leave the UK cellular space in the not so distant future because the other major networks are leaps and bounds ahead of them and set to get even better while O2 remain quite stagnant in terms of upgrades and improvements to their network.

I really hope O2 wise up and upgrade the masts, network infrastructure and speeds to at least match the competition from the other major networks like EE, Three, and Vodafone but it doesn't seem likely.

Message 8 of 12

Enlli
  • 6610 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@SimonD86 If it is allowed to go ahead we shall have to see what the merging of Vodafone and Three network brings. I remember Orange and T-Mobile. That took time and there were winners an losers.

Never a dull moment

Message 9 of 12

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5725 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@SimonD86 

I am sorry but I cannot agree with your synopsis. In some areas, Three is excellent ; but in many locations they do not have coverage at all. At least O2 usually have sufficient signal to enable you to make a voice call. 

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Three and EE effectively see themselves as data networks but that O2 and Vodaphone see themselves as 'phone networks. But geography makes such a difference and the best network is the one that works in the locations that you frequent ! 👍

Message 10 of 12