Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 “wifi extra” and Android 13

RLB7j7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My phone recently updated to Android 13, and is no longer able to connect to Wifi Extra on the underground. It was fine before. After some searching, it seems that Google have tightened security around EAP-TLS connections (ones which authenticate automatically based on your SIM card). Android 13 requires Server Certificate Validation, which was optional on Android 12. 

As far as I can tell, O2 need to change something with their underground d wifi to allow Android 13 users to connect to Wifi extra, or possibly give specific advice on how Android 13 users need to configure their device. 

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions for a fix?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10192 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

The murmurs are that the WiFi on the underground will be gone by the end of Q3 this year, as it is a separate entity to the rest of the Hotspots.. 

@RLB7j7 Virgin Media Business who run the service, and just provide SSID's to o2 etc, wont be doing any changes to the services, and the problem is actually a bug in Android 13, that Google still need to fix.. hopefully before christmas...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Lot's of problems with the underground wifi and I think it's being phased out in favour of 4G availability

@madasaf1sh ?

Message 2 of 4

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Correct @jonsie - I had the same letter from Virgin confirming it's on the way out the door

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10192 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

The murmurs are that the WiFi on the underground will be gone by the end of Q3 this year, as it is a separate entity to the rest of the Hotspots.. 

@RLB7j7 Virgin Media Business who run the service, and just provide SSID's to o2 etc, wont be doing any changes to the services, and the problem is actually a bug in Android 13, that Google still need to fix.. hopefully before christmas...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 4