cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 privacy policy

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a pay monthly customer and I was just about to sign up to the O2 wifi service but checked the Privacy policy first which stated....

"You also agree to information about you and your use of the Service including, but not limited to, how you conduct your account being used, analysed and assessed by us and the other parties identified in the paragraph above and selected third parties for marketing purposes including, amongst other things, to identify and offer you by phone, post, our mobile network, your mobile phone, email, text (SMS), media messaging, automated dialling equipment or other means, any further products, services and offers which we think might interest you. If you do not wish your details to be used for marketing purposes, please write to The Data Controller, Telefónica UK Limited, 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX stating your full name, address, account number and mobile phone number. You can obtain further details from our Privacy Policy."

Does that mean I'm going to get spam text's and letters from other "carefully selected (it should say "whoever pays us some money") companies?

I don't see why I should sign up for something, then have to write a letter to be exempt from marketing.

I'm self employed and don't want to be bothered by sales calls/texts.

I don't sign up for free wifi anywhere because they all say the same thing but as an O2 customer I would expect to be able to sign up for a service without having my details passed on.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I signed up for O2 Wi-Fi when it started and I don't think I've had a text from them yet.

The ones I do get are from other O2 services but even those are no more than one or two a week.

As the Wi-Fi is free for anyone to use I guess it will include some advertising at some stage, but if it gets out of hand you can always have it stopped.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I signed up for O2 Wi-Fi when it started and I don't think I've had a text from them yet.

The ones I do get are from other O2 services but even those are no more than one or two a week.

As the Wi-Fi is free for anyone to use I guess it will include some advertising at some stage, but if it gets out of hand you can always have it stopped.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.

Their should be an 'opt-in' - 'opt-out' tab you have to tick before proceeding.

I assume as some people dont bother to go through the T&C's then its a nice easy gain for their details to be distributed !

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree should be able to opt out without writing in
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies folks, I always check to see if there is an opt out tick box before I sign up to anything, unfortunately there isn't one so I'll not be signing up to it.

Cheers H.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fair comment slight_smile
Message 6 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

That's always an option but it is a free service and was always going to be advertising supported.

Message 7 of 7