cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly really MORE than PAYG?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract is up in Jan and I've worked out that paying monthly (even if I buy the phone up front) it works out 54 pounds more at the end of the 2 years than buying on PAYG and topping up a tenner a month for 2 years. Is this right? If so I cannot see why anyone would want to pay monthly. Especially as you're stuck for 2 years. Oh, and it seems to be cheaper to pay for calls on PAYG than monthly if you go over the limit too (not that I will). 

They keep calling me to upgrade but I'm not answering until I know what I want to do as I don't want to be talked into something. If I do answer, do they offer you a shorter contract than the 2 years? I've never stayed on the same network for the length of more than one contract before lol.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Peanut
Level 3: Thinker
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

You could potentialy buy your phone outright (or keep your old one if you're happy with it) and go onto a Sim Only contract which is probably the cheapest way to go. 

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.”
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123568 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@Anonymous It really does depend on which sim free tariff you choose. Personally I bought my phone outright and went for a 4G tariff Unlimited calls and texts and 3gb of data. I pay £20 a month...I could have had that on a 12mth contract or over 30 days....(I chose the 12 month)  .

I am paying £10 less a month than I was 3 years ago. There are cheaper tariffs about but I stay with O2 as it suits my needs slight_smile

These are the sim only tariffs available https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff @Peanut

Thanks for replying! slight_smile

Sorry, to clarify, I'm looking at getting the Lumia 735 as my iphone 4s can barely function after 2 long years. I had a Lumia previously and never had problems with memory like I do this one. 

It's 140 for the handset on PAYG and then ten pounds a month so that's a total of 380 (presuming the handset lasts 2 years which the last did not)

VS

144 for the handset on pay monthly (no idea why it's an extra 4 pounds) and then 13.50 a month so that's 468

88 pounds more on pay monthly.

Seriously though if I've worked that out wrong please say because it's entirely possible haha.

Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 123568 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

I really forgot to mention... before I changed to contract I was paying vastly more on PAYG over a year.

I admit I travel a lot to Spain and found whilst away I was constantly topping up.....This was the reason I changed to contract...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that's a good point. Happily for my bank balance (but sadly for my self-esteem), I have very few friends haha. My passport is invalid and my children don't have one so the furthest from home we've been in 7 years is the west country. I mainly use wifi to be honest, bit of data to send receive e-mails on the commute to work, a few text messages and the odd call to my mum.   My life is not one of glamour wink 

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 123568 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

The sim only tariffs I linked to start at £9.50 a month...but not much data with that. The next one is £12.50. However @Anonymous this is really down to personal choice and usage. If you are happier on PAYG and it suits your needs then stick with that.......just buy the phone outright...you can always change your mind later and move to a simplicity sim only tariff... You can even look at Tesco deals. They use the O2 network and work out quite cheap..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 145296 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27890 Solutions
For your potential low usage, PAYG is definitely the best option for you.
Having a contract is more beneficial to high use and foreign travel where you can use Tugo, but as this doesn't apply, stay with PAYG.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

You definitely don't need a contract for your limited use. It makes sense to save money and you've obviously done the maths so go with that option if the upfront cost isn't an issue. 

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @jonsie and @MI5 slight_smile I will go back to PAYG. 

Message 10 of 10