cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number not ported and agent says its an invalid number!!

Josemulla
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

Really hoping someone can help with this as I am losing all hope. I ordered a vodafone pay monthly sim only contract from mobilephonesdirect on the 5th of April and called back and cancelled the order within the hour as I wanted to go on a payg instead.

I had already filled in the port the number form so they sent me a PAC code after the order was cancelled on the 17th of April to move my number.

I ported my number over from Vodafone to O2 by filling in the online form on the 19th of April, received a text saying the date it will be ported on the 23rd of April and to turn off the phone until 6pm. Since the number didn’t port over, I called O2 back and spoke to an agent who took the O2 number, my Vodafone number and my PAC code. I was then put on hold for 30 minutes and then hung up on. I then called back immediately and spoke to another agent who said the case has been escalated and I should have my number 100% in 24 hours. It has been 48 hours now and still nothing. I have just spoke to O2 who is saying that my number is invalid. The agent then proceeded to investigate and said he needs to fill out a form for the port team to look into this further as the number is “locked” and took my details again. I have been without a number for over a week. 

Has anyone had similar issues and is there a solution to this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144711 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@Josemulla 

Keep trying O2 Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Guide: Migration & porting into O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6040 Posts
  • 104 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Josemulla 

I personally would be inclined to try to engage with O2's social media team. They are UK-based and have quite a good reputation. You will find their contact details in the guide provided by @MI5👍

If the social media team do not immediately respond, it is suggested that you ping them a reminder or two. I have seen comments on this forum indicating that about 48 hours is their typical response time. 😀

One thing to avoid in a situation such as this is lodging a complaint. Formal complaints are taking O2 up to eight weeks to investigate and respond to, and during that period, there will be a reluctance from other O2 teams to engage with you.  

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144711 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@Josemulla 

Should it come to it, after all other enquiries have proven fruitless, how to complain here make a complaint

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Josemulla1
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update - phoned O2 back today and got hung up once and transferred to the void. So called back again and explained the situation to another agent and she said the number I had on Vodafone is not active and I need to speak to Vodafone to get it active for 24-48 hours or she can send me a sim with my original number but on a 12 month contract (sounds like they have my number, but don’t like the fact that I’m on payg).I just phone Vodafone and explained that O2 requested the sim to be activated again for 24-48 hours to which they said the number is inactive which means you have ported the number. I am seriously losing all hope now. I have not had my number for 2 weeks now and all of my bank accounts and everything is linked to this number. If anyone knows how to escalate this without a complaint let me know.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144711 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@Josemulla1 @Josemulla 

Standard dodgy tactics from sales to force you onto a contract.

Seen it loads of times. 

I'll ask @Dave-O2 to see if he can help?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Josemulla1
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update again - Vodafone has confirmed the port-out happened on the 22nd of April. So it looks like O2 has my number but are refusing to put it on my payg as they want it on a pay monthly sim (which they already offered). This is absolutely unacceptable behaviour from O2 and I have no idea how to escalate this without raising a complaint and waiting 8 weeks to get an answer.

Message 7 of 10

Josemulla1
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep sounds like it. Just phone O2 back and the agent spoke to her manager and since the port hasn’t worked for this long the only way I can get my number is by getting a pay monthly sim contract which they can send out with my original number. 

I would appreciate any help right now lol. Thank you ☺️ 

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144711 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@Josemulla1 

If they are going to force that on you, ask for a 30 day contract and port your number out to another network once it's up and running.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 661 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5 

@Josemulla1 Can you please drop me a PM with more details on what's happened?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 10 of 10