Did you mean: 

International Zone Details

teresag
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello all
I’m about to sign a contract for a 4GB Tarrif on an iPhone that will allow me to benefit from eurozone and international travel allowances.
The questions are
1. Anyone has any experiences with using international zone allowances? While abroad could they check usage and did they get any warning text or notification if they exceeded their limit and were about to be charged ?
2. I’m aware of the fair policy terms on O2 tariffs used within the euro zone but I cannot find specific details for international zone. Let’s assume that the 60 days limit within a 4 month period applies for international services. Any idea if this is calculated by every day used? So for example could I spread out my useage for once a week until I reach the 60 days mark?
3. Last question any feedback on coverage in south america - Ecuador, Colombia, Peru - does data actually work, and do our phone systems operate as normal ?

Thanks a lot !
Teresa
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The 60 day period starts as soon as the phone registers on that countrie's network, not on the days you actually use the phone. The period you are out of the country ends once the registers back on the home network. Of course you could argue the point especially if the phone was switched off for any period of time that you had travelled back to the UK and then flew out again but O2's systems will recognise the normal time the phone is used.

4G roaming in three South American countries we believe

Screenshot_20180513-091157_01.jpg

You can add Brazil to that list but a list of countries that are awaiting confirmation here:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/4G-Roaming-Spain/m-p/1124501/highlight/true#M...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144604 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
We really know very little about this on the forum as it's something quite new.
One of our members has put a guide together which may help though.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/O2-Contract-with-O2-Travel-Inclusive-75-Free-Countries-a...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Also @teresag not sure if any of our members have travelled to Ecuador, Colombia, or Peru so can't comment on that.

However, according to a google search, Wifi is freely available so you may be better using that whenever possible.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23138 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@teresag I can't say for sure, but I would think it's highley unlikely that you will get any 4G coverage in the places you mentioned. O2 has very few 4G agreements with networks in other countries.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The 60 day period starts as soon as the phone registers on that countrie's network, not on the days you actually use the phone. The period you are out of the country ends once the registers back on the home network. Of course you could argue the point especially if the phone was switched off for any period of time that you had travelled back to the UK and then flew out again but O2's systems will recognise the normal time the phone is used.

4G roaming in three South American countries we believe

Screenshot_20180513-091157_01.jpg

You can add Brazil to that list but a list of countries that are awaiting confirmation here:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/4G-Roaming-Spain/m-p/1124501/highlight/true#M...

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@teresag wrote:
Hello all
I’m about to sign a contract for a 4GB Tarrif on an iPhone that will allow me to benefit from eurozone and international travel allowances.
The questions are

Hi there

1. Anyone has any experiences with using international zone allowances? While abroad could they check usage and did they get any warning text or notification if they exceeded their limit and were about to be charged ?

You can check usage but how up to date that information is will depend on which country you are in and network you are connected to, any charges will be calculated after the day in question and applied to your account at some point. There won't be any warnings.

2. I’m aware of the fair policy terms on O2 tariffs used within the euro zone but I cannot find specific details for international zone. Let’s assume that the 60 days limit within a 4 month period applies for international services. Any idea if this is calculated by every day used? So for example could I spread out my useage for once a week until I reach the 60 days mark?

This is designed to prevent people (eg ex-pats) who are non resident in the UK from taking out a UK contract then using their phones exclusively overseas. In order to prevent this from happening you should use your phone data, and minuites a lot here, especially when you first get the contract, and less when overseas esp if you plan to be away for long periods.

The systems will be automated and algorithms comparing your usage will be applied. And then flagged if you are deemed to be outside the norm. Frequent 59 minuite phones calls from the UK to other UK numbers and heavy data usage here over a period of weeks willl establish a good  pattern. But even then if you are then away for four months and no uk call or data usage is recorded at all ; a fair usage flag will be raised and your services curtailed savagely. So you or at least your phone, or at least the SIM card, needs to be back here making calls and data every couple of months as above.

3. Last question any feedback on coverage in south america - Ecuador, Colombia, Peru - does data actually work, and do our phone systems operate as normal ?

Thanks a lot !
Teresa

I think Telefonica and Movistar (o2 are also owned by Telefonica) are all over Spanish Speaking South America so you should get pretty good 2g, 2.5g and 3g speeds in the big cities but no 4g except for Argentina and Uruguay ( at least officially) In rural areas it will be luck of the draw like in the States, but much worse, due to the lack of infrastructure.

Message 6 of 6