cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the earliest I can cancel my 24 month contract which started in December 2014? I've been entirely unhappy with the monthly cost which I believe was misrepresented to me upon purchase and, furthermore, the network coverage has been (more so recently) non-existant i.e. there's frequently "no service" which means my phone is effectively useless!

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
You have to stay the full term of the contract or pay it off to leave.
If on a refresh contract, this is only the amount owed for the phone. Once paid for the airtime can be cancelled free of charge.
If a standard tariff, the cost is the base tariff price multiplied by the number of months remaining.
However, if you feel you have strong grounds for complaint you could try raising the issue with O2 complaints to see if they will do anything for you http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
You have to stay the full term of the contract or pay it off to leave.
If on a refresh contract, this is only the amount owed for the phone. Once paid for the airtime can be cancelled free of charge.
If a standard tariff, the cost is the base tariff price multiplied by the number of months remaining.
However, if you feel you have strong grounds for complaint you could try raising the issue with O2 complaints to see if they will do anything for you http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23184 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

You can cancel at any time. If you're on a Refresh contract, you can fully pay for your device, and then cancel the air time with no extra charge. If you're on a standard contract you will have to pay off any months still remaining on the contract, which in your case would be a considerable number of months.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
How was it misrepresented to you? The advisors would have explained everything fully to you at the time of signing up
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Easily, not all advisors are good at advising and giving out all the necessary information, as I know. Mistakes do happen.... We wouldn't be able to judge and just say well you were told this, ain't a perfect world we live in, though it would be nice.

An advisor told me my phone came with 16GB Internal Storage memory, only for me to get home to find out there is 8GB Internal.

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123288 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Anonymousthat was a shame then....with hindsight, you could have cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period.....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, but to be honest it didn't bother me too much, I got a memory card and it was a mistake, we all make them. I just used it as an example of accidental misrepresentation.

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Which phone have you got?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
They may have given you the 8Gb version by accident or that's all they had left

Is it the iPhone 5c
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just got my phone with tesco half hour ago can I cancel my contract now not even opened phone
Message 10 of 11