Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bereavement Change of Name on Account Process

cdub74
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I contacted O2 this afternoon on behalf of a friend as she has recently lost her husband. Her husband is the name account holder for both his and her mobile phone accounts with O2.

I have said that she wishes to keep the account as is i.e keep both her mobile phone and his mobile phone and their numbers. So just really want to change the name on the account so that she now gets the bill in her name instead of her late husband’s.

The person I spoke to told me that we needed to purchase 202 pay as you go Sim cards then get a new number for each of the Sim cards and then contact them to get the current telephone numbers transferred over to the new Sim cards and a new account set up in the wife’s name.

Can anyone tell me here if this is the correct procedure, as it does seem to be quite a lot of faff, for his widow who is 84 years old to sort out at such a stressful time for her. She does not have a landline anymore and her mobile phone is her only way of contact between her and her family. Other utilities have simply just changed the name on the account to hers.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12082 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

There is a specific section on the o2 help pages about this, but the process does seem to broadly match what you have posted @cdub74 

Bereavement | Account and Billing | Help & Support | O2 

There is also a phone number - 0800 090 18 20 and a different opening time: Monday to Friday 8am – 4.30pm.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions

@cdub74 

Sounds about right.

Contact here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/bereavement

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12082 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

There is a specific section on the o2 help pages about this, but the process does seem to broadly match what you have posted @cdub74 

Bereavement | Account and Billing | Help & Support | O2 

There is also a phone number - 0800 090 18 20 and a different opening time: Monday to Friday 8am – 4.30pm.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 5

cdub74
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wow, that does seem like a lot of work for his widow to deal with for her to keep her number and her only form of communication at a time when she really needs to be able to communicate with her family.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions

@cdub74 

Unless your friend doesn't wish to see her husbands name on the account anymore, there is no pressing need to change anything apart from the payment details if necessary.

The payment details can be easily changed without the need for any change of ownership.

You can do it in the billing section of your MyO2 or call O2.

You can reach the Payment Management team on 0800 902 0217.
The opening times are:
Monday to Friday – 8am to 8pm
Saturday – 8am to 6pm
Sunday – 9am to 6pm

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5