cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things learned from the O2 Outage

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Download, install and register for TuGo now if you are on pay monthly - if it happens again you will then have the option for TuGo over wifi.

2. Don't rely on your mobile as your only form of communication, especially if you need to be contactable for example for work or business - always ensure you have an alternative method of contact, and another reason to install TuGo now!

3. Don't rely on O2's twitter presence to be any help whatsoever!

4. O2 will update their status page - eventually!

5. People will post a thread here called 'no network' even when there are many threads already with the same title!

Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122944 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Re number 5 (about posting here) Considering the forum was down for a few hours in the morning and afternoon....it was a damn good job (for O2) that it came back on about 7pm (ish)

Re a second method of contact. I couldn't agree more. No problems for me as I have a mobile and a landline as well as a laptop and tablet...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 69

MI5
  • 144398 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
No one will read this either!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 69

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23092 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

What happened yesterday regarding the avalanche of posts relating to the outage will always happen. Anyone relying solely on a mobile without any backup or alternative if they run a business needs their head examined. People do not prepare for these eventualities, nor do they look to see if anyone else has posted the same complaint. Same stuff, different day.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122944 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I also learnt something else about the outage.... a few people posting seemed to have no knowledge that this is a customer to customer forum. They felt if they resorted to vile language and personal insults toward people trying to assist .....would somehow help them to get a signal. Evil

I am no prude but I was quite shocked at this attitude slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 69

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

With regards to number 5, it will always happen during such busy times and it is something we must all accommodate for. Even if there are other similar threads, everyone has the right to their own post of discussion if they wish. I'm working on potential ways to ensure that there is a central point of community info going forward in such times.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I also learnt something else about the outage.... a few people posting seemed to have no knowledge that this is a customer to customer forum. They felt if they resorted to vile language and personal insults toward people trying to assist .....would somehow help them to get a signal. Evil

I am no prude but I was quite shocked at this attitude slight_frown

Maybe O2 can make it clearer that it is a customer to customer forum, and as for the vile language there is only one problem with providing a service to the general public and that is the general public. I used to be part of a small online business and I used to hate dealing with the public! I had threats to kill me, my family, burn my house down etc etc because of a complaint  - (we sold personalised items and most of the complaints arose from when the customer entered the wrong details online). For some reason people think vile language and threats will get their problem resolved, and it does make me wonder how these people progress through life! 

Message 7 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122944 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Well just to prove I am not being prudish. I worked on the frontline in the  NHS for years. I experienced violence and abuse in many situations...I learnt more swear words than most women ever hear....and certainly was no stranger to 'Friday night Fight nights' in A/E.... it  went with the territory.

I was just amazed that people could resort to such language when their phone network went down for a few hours.....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 69

jonsie
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

It's apparent many people joined the community solely because of the outage and probably unaware of the numerous threads. That's quite understandable. However what I find intolerable is that people think it's ok to lambast and take their frustration out on the people trying to help and point them to the information and reports already issued. Very easy to swear and be obnoxious hiding behind a keyboard. Makes you wonder just how brave they are face to face.

If you want to run a business with no back up contingency then you shouldn't be surprised when instances occur like yesterday. Similarly people unable to get in touch with sick relatives. Check if one of their neighbours has a landline and arrange to be able to call them to go check for you. Common sense and there are so many good people in this world willing to help out.

Message 9 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to order a cheap handset off Amazon shortly

as a back-up

atm I have a laptop & a new smartphone Nokia Lumia 640

I wasn't inconvenienced, as I'read on the O2C forum what was happening

& so waited patiently

& I did manage to ring my elderly, infirm parents to explain I'd got a new phone & was 'checking in' I did not mention the network being down as their Dorro phone is on O2, it would have only made them worry

thank you forum members for talking IT common sense above ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ 

Message 10 of 69