cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad - phone help please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i'm hoping someone can help me with what may appear to be a very simple query.

I am due to go abroad for christmas/ new years on friday. I'm on a pay-monthly contract, with 500MB of data, and 600 minutes on calls. I want to be able to call home if possible and occasionally (tho probably rarely) use the internet on my phone, for the usual tweet etc.

I've never had a phone with the net on before that i've taken aborad. But I don't want to leave it at home either. I need help with the following:

- what are the implications of using my phone abroad? 

- do i need to upgrade any bolt-ons i have to be able to use it?

- are there any numbers i need to enable me to use my free minutes instead of being charged a crazy price when i'm back?

- is there anything i need to switch off the phone so i'm not adding up costs?

I am going to the US/Caribbean and I've got a feeling thats whats going to catch me out. I've looked on the website and it appears europe is pretty much covered, but not international clearly.

If someone can tell me in parot fashion if i need to change anything i'd be really greatful. As time is running out & i've left this to the last minute.

Thankyou.

Rachel 

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
For starters turn off voicemail (huge bill) call 1750

1760 to turn off 1750 to turn on.:smileywink:

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Add an international bolt on which should reduce your calls/txts.

I don't think there's a international data bolt on(ill check) so I advise turning off roaming and 3G when your not in an area that has wifi.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 21

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:

1760 to turn off 1750 to turn on.:smileywink:

Message 3 of 21

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
That's the one^^ 😞
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi can you advise what international bolt is needed? The one i seen is about calling abroad from the UK, but i need it the other way round? && extremely thick question, how do i turn off 3G/Roaming? Would that mean i can't use any net unless i'm in a wifi area? xx

Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turn off mobile data as that will run up a huge bill itself

Message 6 of 21

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

There is no International bolt on for using your phone overseas. Where exactly are you travelling to and we can give you a better idea of costs etc.

Message 7 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

If you tell us what phone you have we can make suggestions.

but from the USA it will be very expensive try and find free wifi for data there are plenty of place for that in the USA.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't matter what you do, O2 will find a way of ripping you off. I recently went abroad, switched voicemail off, switched off my phone, and took a company Blackberry with me to use. My O2 phone was with me for emergencies only. O2 still managed to find a way of tagging £30 onto my bill for a powered off phone which they cannot explain. Absolutely disgusting company. Sick and tired of querying every bill I receive. Been with them for 14 months of hell, will go back to one of the more honest providers the very second the contract expires.

* This post will receive numerous sacrcastic comments from O2 employees who use this forum as a convenient place to anonymously troll customers. Please see below.

Message 9 of 21

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

What were the charges for? Have you checked your bill to see whether the charges are for data or voicemail etc.?

Message 10 of 21