cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an old phone with a large sim card in it, I've purchased a newer phone and need a smaller sim

blade918rrv
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My mother in law needs a new sim card for her new phone as she has an old 'large' sim card.  The next one up from a micro sim is needed.  She wants to keep her old number.  She's 85 and imobile without assistance.  Unfortunately the local o2 store has closed. Can I request a new card online or by phone on her behalf?  If I take her old sim card to the nearest o2 shop in Bournemouth, will they be able to provide a new sim and transfer all that is required onto the new sim card?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145004 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions

@blade918rrv 

Pop into your local O2 store with photo ID or call 4445 or 0344 8090222 (PAYG)
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say 'Upgrade', 'Lost/Stolen', or 'Fraud' if the suggestion above doesn't get you through.
Best time to call is 8 am.
You can also reach O2 via social media:
Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB), Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW), or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

Also check if your old sim can be converted first.

3-in-1-SIM.jpg

You can also order a free sim online and then do a sim swap yourself. Any of them will do.

Pay As You Go SIM Card Deals & Offers (o2.co.uk)

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6321 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@MI5 

How would a visit to an O2 retail sore work in this case ? 

The SIM seems to belong to the mother-in-law of @blade918rrv, and hence might well be registered in her name. Would @blade918rrv need to take his photo ID, his mother-in-law's photo ID, or both to the retail store in question ? Or would his mother-in-law actually need to be present in the store ?      

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145004 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions

ID of both parties would be needed, however, the easiest way by far would be to order from the web and do a sim swap as advised above.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4