Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National emergency alarm, 23rd April, 2023

Irritated1944
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife and I both use O2 Pay as You Go and neither of us received the national emergency alarm test yesterday.

Has this happened to other O2 users?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6779 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

@Nanalaaa wrote:

My hubby and I are both with O2 - neither of us received the alarm test. Our daughter was visiting all day who’s also with O2 - she DID receive the alarm test. Very confused as

to why we didn’t receive it. 

These are not text messages sent to individual phones. They are network broadcast messages. Two messages are sent, the first to tell your phone to stay connected to the broadcast service and the second the actual message.

If phones were permanently connected to cell broadcast then battery life would be short.

If the phone did not poll the service in the 20 min it was active then you would not get a message. There are many reasons for that. Messaging service being turned off or the phone firmware not being compatible are the top two but there are others.

O2 have no way of knowing which individual phones did not receive a message 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10282 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@Irritated1944 

have a look at this thread here: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Emergency-Alert-Test-Sunday-23rd-April-at-3pm/td-p/161483...

It was a test run by the Cabinet Office not by o2, and they will have been testing failures to enable mitigations for when/if it ever goes live

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 8

Irritated1944
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, I am aware that it was run by the Cabinet Office, but it is only O2 users who can say whether they did not receive the test alarm, hence my asking the question.  So far, all reports relating to users not receiving the alarm have mentioned users of Three.

Message 3 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 10282 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

I have seen this across EE, Vodafone, 3 and most of the MVNO's so not unique to any network.. 

Message 4 of 8

Nanalaaa
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My hubby and I are both with O2 - neither of us received the alarm test. Our daughter was visiting all day who’s also with O2 - she DID receive the alarm test. Very confused as

Message 5 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 10282 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@Nanalaaa 

By design.. 

have a look at this thread here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Emergency-Alert-Test-Sunday-23rd-April-at-3pm/td-p/161483... 

Message 6 of 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6779 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

@Nanalaaa wrote:

These are not text messages sent to individual phones. They are network broadcast messages. Two messages are sent, the first to tell your phone to stay connected to the broadcast service and the second the actual message.

If phones were permanently connected to cell broadcast then battery life would be short.

If the phone did not poll the service in the 20 min it was active then you would not get a message. There are many reasons for that. Messaging service being turned off or the phone firmware not being compatible are the top two but there are others.

O2 have no way of knowing which individual phones did not receive a message 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 8

Irritated1944
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's the sort of information I was after.  Thank you.

Message 8 of 8