cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 4G coverage planned for Moray Coast

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently enjoyed a 4G signal, whilst visiting family in the Central belt of Scotland.  As I only get a 2G signal most of the places in my area or sometimes no signal I was wondering if anyone knows if O2 plan to upgrade their coverage in my area?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
No one knows - it's a closely guarded secret.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
If we tell you we will have to kill you! !!!

Even o2 don't know lol
Message 3 of 30

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

4G will more than likely replace the ageing 2G network, so like my masts near me they will probably be upgraded rather than renewed.

This infomation is based on cynicism and own observations. Je suis anticpated.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently 4g is only for data so will not replace the 2g system which, ironically, is pretty reliable.
Message 5 of 30

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Based on my experience ever since the O2 network in my area has been updated to take advantage of 4G, there has been a marginal improvement in 3G and fall back to 2G if that fails. 2G has never really been a problem for me although on occasion the signal has dropped out completely. 

So the likelihood I reckon is rather invest time on upgrading the 2G network, they will be investing more in getting a 4G infrastructure in place. Although 2G will be remedied it might not be a priority any more.  Only time will tell, our rural people are always last to be seen...;-)

Message 6 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have a look on the status checker status.o2.co.uk you will see that every week maintenance is being done on 2g. It ain't going anywhere for a while. Most of the telephony is transmitted on the 2g network
Message 7 of 30

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The coverage checker isn't that reliable although the maintenance logs tend to be more accurate; although it doesn't have the same excitement as 50 shades of Networking really.

Message 8 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
The coverage checker is a joke quite frankly, bordering on a fraudulent attempt to persuade people to sign up to o2 knowing the signal and capacity is no where near that o2 claim.
Message 9 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 123026 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

I don't claim to know much about this.... but have been given these links which show Ofcoms 5 point plan

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/coverage/five-point-plan-to-improving-mobile-cover...

and this ...which explains more from the regulator....

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2015/mno-variations/

Add to this we have this statement from O2 about their plan for mobile coverage..

http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/08/14/were-all-thirsty-for-mobile-coverage/

All makes for interesting reading ...and shows O2's obligations (Credit to Adam Temperton for the links)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 30