Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface 2 4G - is it 3G capable?

rev_dave
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just bought a new MS Surface 2 which is 4G ready. I would like to fit it with a 4G miniature SIM but not sure of the implications in my area which has limited connectivity.

Will an O2 4G SIM automatically drop back to 3G like my 3G SIM currently does? - (i.e. my 3G O2 SIM in my smartphone drops back to 2G if there's no 3G, etc. The HTC Touch HD copes with H, E, G very well.)

I need to check that the Surface 2 operates on the 3G frequency to enable this to work, but I also need to know that the 4G SIM will drop back, else there's no point fitting it!

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Yes a 4G sim will work on 2G and 3G. It will automatically pick up the best signal.

Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
The 4G sim works in exactly the same way as a 3G sim.
It will try to connect to the highest data speed available and fall back to the next fastest as required.
A Google search indicates the following 3G frequencies are supported vy this tablet:
3G frequencies supported 850, 900, 1900
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wanted to say that's a nice machine you've chosen @rev_dave and Welcome to the Forum.

slight_smile
Message 4 of 9

rev_dave
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks folks. That's very helpful. I'll go buy a 4G SIM then! slight_smile

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Enjoy your new toy wink
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the community @rev_dave  Remember to return to your discussion to mark a post as your solution if you found one! You can find that button on each reply you receive.I hope you find the advice useful. As you can see the knowledge of the community can solve the majority of the problems. Fantastic

We hope to see you around!

Sorry guys I'm starting to be a bit annoying with my repetitive message of returning to mark a post as a solution...Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 8 of 9

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry guys I'm starting to be a bit annoying with my repetitive message of returning to mark a post as a solution...Smiley Embarassed

Not a problem, but perhaps I should remove the line from my sig wink

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 9 of 9