cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Emails & Wifi Abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I am abroad am connected to a wireless network but am unable to receive my emails. I have tried a resending service books, deleting/creating email addresses and hard reset.

I am able to receive my Facebook updates and have received emails via wifi in the past.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks 🙂

Alex

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

This user had the same problem earlier this year, and the service books resolved the problem:- http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/No-email-over-wifi-with-Blackberry-Curve...

However, the more I think about it, I think the problem lies with data services being turned off. If you go to manage connections>mobile network options>data services, it should be on.

But, right under that, 'while roaming' should be off.

To use WiFi, you need data services on (I know...the placement is a bit counter-intuitive.)

The BB logo (4 dots) denotes BIS coverage. If you don't have it, you don't have BIS. So it is significant, and will tell you when your BIS is restored

As long as you have a BIS plan on O2, you should be able to BBM, email, etc. even on WiFi.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you able to access the internet when you're connected to Wifi?

Can you access your webmail when connected to Wifi?

Can you send emails from the phone when connected to Wifi?

Do you see the BlackBerry "dots" next to the signal indicator to let you know you are connected to BIS?

If the answer to all of the above is "no" then you likely have data services turned off. Try turning them on but turn off the cellular network to prevent any excess roaming charges.

If nothing works after ensuring data is on, try typing www.blackberry.com/integrate into your browser, it will register you on the BlackBerry Wireless Network.

The downside is that you may have to enter your e-mail account(s)' information again to begin receiving any further e-mail.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

This user had the same problem earlier this year, and the service books resolved the problem:- http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/No-email-over-wifi-with-Blackberry-Curve...

However, the more I think about it, I think the problem lies with data services being turned off. If you go to manage connections>mobile network options>data services, it should be on.

But, right under that, 'while roaming' should be off.

To use WiFi, you need data services on (I know...the placement is a bit counter-intuitive.)

The BB logo (4 dots) denotes BIS coverage. If you don't have it, you don't have BIS. So it is significant, and will tell you when your BIS is restored

As long as you have a BIS plan on O2, you should be able to BBM, email, etc. even on WiFi.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I have done all of the above, and am able to access internet via Wifi and my data services are definitely on. 

I am able to access services including WhatsApp and notifications are sent direclty to my phone via Wifi here.

In the UK I can receive emails straight to my phone, but not by Wifi. Do you have anymore tips?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

quote In the UK I can receive emails straight to my phone, but not by Wifi

not sure I understand that - you are receiving emails to your phone?

If you are connected by wifi how do you know the emails are not picked up via wifi? 

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean that in the UK I have been receiving emails. Since I have been abroad I have received none over Wifi (I have disabled data roaming here).

I know I am not receiving emails to my Blackberry, as I have emails coming through to my inbox when I log in through a computer.  

Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
On a BB you still need data enabled even if using wifi.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7