cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g speeds being very poor?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Unsure if anyone can really help but i have recently taken a new contract on 4g services with the Nokia 1020 and i must admit i thought there would be a decent speed boost over 3g but in all honesty after testing the service i must admit i am disappointed. 

In all speedtests i never appear to go above 2.2Mb down and 900Mb up with a 65m ping time. 

However on one of my older contracts with Three on it's 3g service i appear to be seeing 14/20Mb down and 2.5Mb up with a 40ms ping in the same areas.

I am not currently finding o2 4g services anything to get excited over 😕

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you checked your service status to ensure your masts are ok

http://status.o2.co.uk

You do have a 90 day happiness guarantee you can use to return to 3G if you want.

Give 4G a go
If you aren't totally happy within 90 days, we will help transfer you to a 3G tariff and give you a bill credit up to £15.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you checked your service status to ensure your masts are ok

http://status.o2.co.uk

You do have a 90 day happiness guarantee you can use to return to 3G if you want.

Give 4G a go
If you aren't totally happy within 90 days, we will help transfer you to a 3G tariff and give you a bill credit up to £15.

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Something is defiantly wrong there I've not had speeds under 20mbps down and 10mbps up usually a lot faster than that

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

Unsure if anyone can really help but i have recently taken a new contract on 4g services with the Nokia 1020 and i must admit i thought there would be a decent speed boost over 3g but in all honesty after testing the service i must admit i am disappointed. 

In all speedtests i never appear to go above 2.2Mb down and 900Mb up with a 65m ping time. 

However on one of my older contracts with Three on it's 3g service i appear to be seeing 14/20Mb down and 2.5Mb up with a 40ms ping in the same areas.

I am not currently finding o2 4g services anything to get excited over 😕

That's not good, my experience of 4G (on EE) is brilliant.

You should be getting much faster speeds.

As suggested check the network status page, but also check that you are connected to 4G?  It may sound daft but maybe forced onto 3G only for some reason.

I can't remember off the top of my head how you check this on WIndows Mobile, but sure you can find it.

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would Imagine it would show up in on the display as 4g or lte

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Possibly contacting uk customer services on 202 , just to get your account checked out if your masts are showing as all Ok.
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would Imagine it would show up in on the display as 4g or lte

Should do but just to be 100% grin

Message 7 of 16

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That certainly hasn't been my experience with 4G as witnessed by the speedtest in my sig, though it does have a tendency to fall back to 3G or slower at busy times. Smiley Frustrated

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

That certainly hasn't been my experience with 4G as witnessed by the speedtest in my sig, though it does have a tendency to fall back to 3G or slower at busy times. Smiley Frustrated

Falls back to 3G or slower at busy times, as in the network switches to 3G/E etc?? Or the speeds resemble those ow 3G, Edge etc?

Must admit I am concerned about what I am hearing about O2's 4G now it's rolling out more....!

Message 9 of 16

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Actual fall back to H+, 3G, Edge, GPRS or sometimes just GSM (no data) as indicated in the phone's status bar, and that's within London.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 10 of 16