cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 1020 - Repairs/warranty etc?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

Just a question regarding this phone. I can purchased a used Lumia 1020. 

However, what rights do I have with it if something goes wrong? Warranty wise. Am I covered by the manufacturer. The phone is locked to O2 (Can GiffGaff be used on O2 locked by the way?). Regarding hardware faults.

If I am not covered, say the digitiser is defective, how much am I Looking at?

Last question, say the gorilla glass is scratched to hell, are they easy to replace? Does the whole unit need to be taken apart (as I know some phones have the digitiser and glass combined).

Thanks all,

Mike

Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63

Anonymous
Not applicable
"

That said you can register your IMEI with Nokia, so wouldn't that make it binded to the seller? Which could cause issues down the line?"

One of the main issues is people selling phones on and then getting their network to block the sold phones imei number as part of insurance fraud. 😞
Message 11 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand those people 😞 it is real scabby they can do that.

Could I just walk into my nearest O2 store and bind this used phone IMEI to my contract / details to kind of "take ownership"?

EDIT

OK all done, ordered it. I will contact Nokia and O2 once I received the phone just to clear things up and register it.

Yeah insurance fraud is bleeding awful, people trying to scab money, abusing the system that is actually in place to prevent fraud and help others in the first place.

Thanks for all the help!

Message 12 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You can see through your myo2 -link at the top of the forum - what phone your using under 'Device Details'

Type *#06# to see if the imei details match your phone.

If you ring customer service I think you can register the phones details.

Yes I agree the act of insurance fraud is terrible and affects those involved and other policy holders as premiums rise because of this.
Message 13 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sadly with these types of insurance fraud it is unlikely that the police will get involved as it is small value.

Insurers keep a monitor to try to catch the career criminals rather than those who just do it occasionally. You can only claim so often afterall.
Message 14 of 64

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Remember that one point says proof of purchase "if possible" is only if it is in warrenty. If its out of warranty "If your device is out of warranty on our register, a proof of purchase will be required"

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 15 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable

In any case I'd have to pay for a repair anyway if it is out of warranty. So that would just be a case of finding authorised and professional engineers to repair the thing?

Also can anyone tell me if this is the genuine charger CHARGER_1.

I know any charger can be used as long as it outputs 1.0A @ 5V, but I know some phones are pretty clever at somehow detecting a genuine charger or USB or not such as this one CHARGER_2.

Thanks slight_smile

Message 16 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
The reviews look ok for it although you do take a risk even from Amazon that it's not authentic.

My personal choice is originals too.

Perhaps look online on O2's Store or visit places like the network shops / CPW or look in places like Argos and Claus Olson

Ref Nokia Care Points just check out the link I added earlier.
Message 17 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that is the issue, really easy to slap a genuine case onto non-genuine internalls. 

I've had a look at their online stores and nothing is popping up. Will pop into town to see if they sell any. I am sure O2 do as they offer replacement accessories.

Not that I will need the genuine charger much, those times where there is nothing to plug your USB in, like at nights slight_smile

Thanks for all the help everyone! 

Message 18 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're very welcome.

slight_smile
Message 19 of 64

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144378 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Most modern phones have the screen and digitizer sandwiched together so have to be changed as a pair.
Sadly registering your phone with O2 or Nokia won't stop the insurance fraud scumbags and if it does happen to you, your only hope is a civil prosecution, so get a receipt showing the imei number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 64