cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 930 concerns.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I got my 930 yesterday and have the following concerns.

Battery charging.  Left overnight on the wireless charger and this morning phone is at 36% battery.  I have now had it on USB charge for over an hour and it has charged to 55%.  Is this normal / usual or this a faulty handset?

Cortana.  There is no Cortana....should there be?

No ability to "folder" files.  Think this is called live tiles and was included in one of the 8.1 updates.  Do we have that update?  Are both of the above due to the UK not having the latest version yet and will this be added?

Cortana and ability to folder tiles I can wait for (if they are coming) but charging problems are going to send me scuttling to the post office with my returns label.

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

The wireless charger take's longer to charge the phone.

You need to remember to line the handset up correctly & also the charger will stop if it senses the phone getting to hot, it should restart once everything cools down.

I have my wireless charger at work on my desk, I normally use the mains charger when at home.

The 930 does take a few discharge / charge cycles to get its full battery life.

Also be carefull what apps you allow to run in the background, some people have moaned about awful battery life only to find a app they have installed was running in background & eating all the life out the battery.

A lot of the 930 threads moaning about poor battery life are down to the person installing apps / setting the phone up incorrectly.

Mine lasts between 24 & 36 hours between charges.

Lumia Denim update is due before the end of 2014, this will bring even more good features to 930 & other Lumia devices.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144900 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Charging could be cause for concern, but I would try using a normal charger first to condition the battery.
You have 14 days to swap if the phone is faulty so if there are any doubts, don't wait too long to return it.
Cortana was an 8.1 update but the folders option is an update 1 add on, I believe, so check you have all the updates installed properly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx for the reply.  I am up to date with updates according to the phone.  I am on 8.10.12397.895?  There is no Cortana present...just the bing speech function,which isnt too useful really.

I have the battery app, which is telling me that currently (through usb) the phone is charging at 18.36% per hour.  Which is crazy slow.

Message 3 of 21

MI5
  • 144900 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Did you get it in store or online?
I'd be considering getting it swapped for a new one.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was an upgrade direct from O2.

Message 5 of 21

MI5
  • 144900 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Call 202 straightaway and get a doorstep swap organised mate.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cortana is only available (in the UK, under normal circumstances) in Update 1, which hasn't been released officially as yet, the only way you can access it in the UK is to either change your region to the US (which is annoying and I wouldn't personally recommend it), or register for the developer preview (which voids your warranty, which again I wouldn't recommend on a new phone).

Hopefully Microsoft shouldn't be too long in pushing out Update 1, as it's already available in the US on the HTC One Windows Phone variant.

Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 21

MI5
  • 144900 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Official O2 8.1 update link here for info http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Windows-Phone-8-1-Update-All-the-info-ri...

Currently using:
Message 9 of 21

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

As mentioned, and only repeated by me to give more credability, Cortana and Folders is a 8.1, update 1 feature. The only way you can get it is to own a HTC One 8 (windows one), use Developers Preview (like me) or but a 830/730. 

As for the charge my 1520 just keeps its charge when its connected to USB. I always use the wall socket and my wireless plate. Remember the wireless plate takes longer then a direct usb to wall socket. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 10 of 21