Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 Plus - My Review.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Device name : iPhone 6 Plus ~ 16GB. 

By : BandofBrothers.

iphone 6 plus.jpg

The manufacturers specifications and more Product Information : iPhone 6 Plus.

Design

The design of the iPhone 6 Plus just oozes quality and solid workmanship, and its just so thin and light to handle. The curved body both makes it comfortable to hold ,but also IMO makes it a little slippy also.

This is the first time I have tackled a phone to own of this size as I'm normally accustomed to the iPhone 5 ,and my recent iPhone 5s screen sizes of 4” . This is also is a device that I cannot use one handed 100% - Was I put off by this - absolutely not. It is simply a joy to use.

At last Apple have caught up with some of the other phone manufacturers on their ethos on Screen size !  And about time Apple.  Crazy

The 5.5" screen is equipped with 1080 x 1920 pixels with a very bright clear display. The devices Internal memory is 16GB, which gives a user availability of Approx 13GB ,and the Ram is the same as the iPhone 5s at 1GB.

The power On/Off Sleep Wake button located on the right hand upper edge of the chassis is very tactile ,as is the volume rocker switch and mute button which are both located on the left hand upper side.

The Speaker is located on the bottom right hand bottom edge part of the chassis. Earphone 3.5mm jack is located on the Bottom left hand part of the chassis too.

Operating System & UI.

What I found under its hood was stock iOS 8.0 which I updated to iOS8.0.2 - With the Apple A8 Chipset.

The boot up and power down times are fast and the screen is responsive and very fast.

Phone Calls, Texting, Internet and General Usage.

The iPhone 6 Plus handled YouTube videos and streaming Sites with no problems at all.

I made some outbound calls and also received inbound calls which were very clear for both myself, and the person I was calling, and the loudspeaker performed adequately ,and I didn't experience any distortion at all. 

The New predictive keyboard was easy to use in sending text messages and writing posts on forums and is very responsive. I will be looking at 3rd party Keyboard options in due course.

Internet Connection is strong and 4G is fast. The internet experience using Safari And Chrome was a breeze to use ,and buttery smooth in most aspects.

Wifi connectivity both to my Home Broadband Router and the Coffee shops I frequent along with our free City Centre Wifi gave me no issues ref drop outs.

I also found the New HD screen to be readable in sunny conditions outdoors and was just as fine indoors too. The clarify of fonts and vibrant colours complemented the iPhone screen specs.

The iPhone pushed my e mails and notifications to me from my server with ease, which is something that is a ‘want and need’ from any communication device I use.

The Apps available from the App Store were the usual affair of useful, eye candy and dross.

The iPhone coped very well with games I tried out. As usual I played Fifa 14, which pushes most devices to see if it offers a good gaming experience.

The ringtone alerts and Notification Sounds were loud and clear again something which is a want and need due to the environment I work in.

Battery.

I turned on every spec within the iPhone and used it as my primary device and found that it gave me around around two days usage. {Please take into account I had everything turned on in the iPhone settings, e mails set to push every 5 minutes, and used it quite heavily}

In my opinion I don't want to turn this and that spec off, and reduce screen on times etc, and rush what I'm doing before the screen times out etc. I want to enjoy what the device brings.

Camera.

The camera has a 8MP camera which is enough for me when i need to capture that ‘special moment’ picture. The front facing camera is 1.2MP. Both are good enough for what I as a casual picture taker would ever need. The Slo-Mo is just awesome.

Music.

As a regular commuter on public transport all I ask is for a decent experience whilst listening to my tunes, which the iPhone 6 Plus does exceptionally very well. Their are lots of bells and whistles for one to play around with within the music settings if you deem its warranted.

Accessories.

I found the usual affair of weird and wonderful expensive and low cost sleeves and cases for this phone on well known selling sites, and on the high-street.

Here is a picture of the Original Leather Apple Case I have chosen to use.

£39 from the Apple Store.

iphone 6 case.jpg

The Good for me about this phone.

Quality of workmanship.

Very Light to handle.

Larger Display.

Quality of Display.

Good Performance overall.

Very Responsive Screen.

Battery gave approx two days usage..

4G.

The Not so good for me about this phone.

Non removable Battery.

Care possibly needs to be taken if carried in tight trouser pockets ref the well documented 'bending ' issue.

Slippery to hold ~ Case is a must for me.

Non Expandable Memory via SD Card.

Price could be a deal-breaker.

Very Limited availability.

My Rating out of 10.

9/10.

Conclusion.

I very happy to own this phone and due to my eyesight I will certainly take advantage of the extra screen size.

I hope you enjoyed my review as much as I enjoyed reviewing this Device.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice review. 😃.

What do you think of battery life ?

Did you obtain a tempered glass screen protector with curved edges ? The ones I've found have been on the tad expensive side.

I do use the Reachability feature quite often ref reaching the top of the screen. 😄.

Glad to hear your enjoying the iPhone
Message 31 of 53

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Great to hear your thoughts @Anonymous slight_smile

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 32 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing with us your opinion @Anonymous slight_smile

Message 33 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

Battery life is ok. I use to get a day and 3 quarters out of my 5 anyway. Altho i noticed on Fri it did last for ages. Played music for 4 hours in the morning, hammered it when I got home at 5, on internet, games, texting, facebook etc. watched a film later on and still had 20% at 12 when going bed, so I guess you could say its much better. Will get a better idea when I return to normal use and not using it all day 😂!

Tempered glass I got doesnt go to the edges, just got one of ebay for 3.99 but its ok for now until the curved ones become more available.

I keep forgetting about the reachability feature, I think that will be something I use more often once I get use to using it.

Oh the one thing I do love is the ability to text back from the top of the screen, whilst in the middle of something, without having to close things down.
Message 34 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

I get around 3-4 days from my 6 plus but I don't listen to music on it. I do however heavily use it for Internet use and texting. Few calls and the odd game of Subway Surfers.

This may be of interest to you which is a guide I wrote to save battery like but also can save data too http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/iOS-8-Battery-Saving-Tips/m-p/759681/highlight/true#M33337

Also turning off Handoff in settings can save a lot of juice too.

I too like the quick reply which is derived from a jailbreak tweak called BiteSms. Makes things much simpler. 😄

I'm also waiting for a tempered glass protector with curved edges at a better price (yes I'm tight 😉)

Message 35 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous Sorry this may sound thick but what's Handoff, or where is it? I try and keep most things switched off but this is kinda due to Data usage. I'm only listening to more music these days, as I got free Spotif on Vodafone, meaning I can listen to any song I want for free for 2 years. Will save me a fortune in the long run. I have used the phone quite a lot this morning, internet mostly and its still on 69%, but I use Wifi over 3G. I'm with you on trying to save pennies on a screen protector :-), dont fancy paying £15 - £20 for one. Will wait until a cheaper one becomes available. Plus the one I got is fine, you cant tell it doesn't go to the edge unless you actually look closely.
Message 36 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Handoff link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6337

And http://lifehacker.com/how-to-set-up-and-use-handoff-in-yosemite-and-ios-8-1646745583

I had a glass temperered protector on my iPhone 5 and loved it.
Message 37 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are thank u. Thats the new feature id not tried yet. Turned it off anyway as only have 1 apple device my 6plus. I got this instead of an ipad.

This is my first tempered glass screen, used the filmsy ones up to now until a work colleague told me about tempered glass. Ive certainly been converted and will not go back now. It feels so much better then the other ones. 😀

Have u found any new keyboards, the ones where you can swipe across like on android?

Had a look but cant see any, cant remember what there called.
Message 38 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

My screen protector was £1.70 from eBay for the 5s. 😄

As for keyboards.

Their are a few nice ones to look at.

Swift key is good.

Heck out these links from idownloadblog.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/09/17/best-third-party-keyboards-ios-8/

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/10/05/best-keyboards-ios-8/
Message 39 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant thanks @and of brothers. Just found touch pal which is fab, just using it now if you don't already have it try it. So speedy! 😃
Message 40 of 53