cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempered Glass Screen Protector. ~ My Review.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tempered Glass Screen Protector Review.

After looking at one of these glass screen protectors on my colleagues mobile phone I created this thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector/m-p/698569/highlight/true#M27... ,to see if anyone else had used one.

Thank you to for your insight, and to for showing interest.

I ordered the shield from Amazon for £1.70. slight_smile

Other options are available that can cost up to £15+

The shield arrived this morning so I fitted it straightaway and have been using it for the day.

I used the 'hinge method' to fit the shield which for me has always meant shields have been fitted straight and inline. Basically you use cello-tape on the side of the shield onto the phone, which creates a hinge.

On pressing the middle of the shield you can actually see the silicone adhesive take hold. No bubbles. The key is to ensure the phone screen is spotless.

Some advocate going into the bathroom and running the shower as the dust in the air is dampened down, thus stopping dust particles adhering to the phone screen.

TouchScreen.
I have not come across any loss in sensitivity and it's actually a more smoother experience. Maybe this could be down to the oleophobic coating wearing off the iPhone display with wear and tear, and now feels better using the fresh coating on the tempered glass screen protector.

Finger prints seem to be less also. I haven't had to wipe the screen down as much today.

The shield corners are rounded so it precisely matches the iPhone 5s screen.

The thickness is 0.4mm so does not add anything major to the iPhone in thickness or weight.

The surface has a hardness of 8-9H which is 3 times stronger than regular PET film. Sharp objects such as knives and keys are reported to not scratch the surface.

Time will tell on how it will stand up to scratches but I won't be using a knife on it ,or keep my keys in the same pocket as my phone. wink

I have found that with the screen fitted the Home Button is a little more depressed ,but not enough to hinder pressing the Home Button, or using the finger print sensor. After a few hours it felt normal.

My iPhone original case fitted without issue.

The Good.

Hopefully it will save my iPhone screen if an accidental drop occurs. {Touch wood I don't drop it}

Will keep my screen free of scratches for when I sell it on.

If smashed it splinters into non sharp bits.

My original iPhone case fits with the shield fitted.

Cheap as chips.

The Not So Good.

Adds a little extra thickness but not really noticeable.

One time fit so be careful on fitting the screen shield.

Home Button is a little more depressed but I adjusted after a few hours.

In the pack I received the shield, micro fibre cloth, alcohol prep pad, x2 home button sticker pads (not for use with the iPhone 5s ,or the fingerprint scanner won't work )

image.jpg

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
Sounds promising....
I'll see what they've got for my Z1 slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried all types of shields as I'm sure most have in the past ,and have not got on with the feel of them.

Some call it the orange peel effect. Bubbles underneath being a nightmare.

This I just tapped in the centre and simply watched it push out all the air as it adhered. slight_smile
Message 3 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
Sweet slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  You warn "One time fit so be careful on fitting the screen shield."  -  Does that mean it adheres to the screen and cannot be removed?  Or does it mean you if you remove it from a screen it cannot be re-used?

Gerry

PS - Sorry - should have said many thanks for your comprehensive review.

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Before I make a purchase I always do as much homework as possible with one avenue watching YouTube videos.

Some of these videos show what happens if you try and remove it from the phone.

Part of the instructions is to be careful fitting this as it's a pain to try and remove and refit. I'm not saying it's not possible but one must take into account your not prying off plastic here, it's glass so even though it does have a little flex it will splinter if it's prised too much.
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @Anonymous

Before I make a purchase I always do as much homework as possible with one avenue watching YouTube videos.

Some of these videos show what happens if you try and remove it from the phone.

Part of the instructions is to be careful fitting this as it's a pain to try and remove and refit. I'm not saying it's not possible but one must take into account your not prying off plastic here, it's glass so even though it does have a little flex it will splinter if it's prised too much.

@Anonymous Many thanks.  I think that is enough to make me steer clear of this product as I am too ham fisted to do it right.  It took me about 45 minutes to put a regular screen protector on my S4.

Gerry

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's fair enough @Anonymous

On balance I've fitted more shields than I care to remember with varying results. wink

However this required little in the way of actual fitting.

Ie : make sure it's straight , remove the backing film and tap the middle = done.
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That's fair enough @Anonymous

On balance I've fitted more shields than I care to remember with varying results. wink

However this required little in the way of actual fitting.

Ie : make sure it's straight , remove the backing film and tap the middle = done.

Oh I do like the idea of it BoB - and I may get one if I can persuade someone else to fit it for me.  You just have no idea how much of a mess I can make of the simplest practical task.  I can usually master the theory - doing the actual work is another story.

Gerry

(The non-nimble)

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol.

If you go to YouTube and search for the shield options I'm talking about you'll see how fast and easy it is.

I generally give the plastic versions a wide berth due to the hassle of fitting them, and the feel of them.
Message 10 of 16