Did you mean: 

Whats next for Anthony Joshua?

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi guys, 

Following Anthony Joshua's victory over Charles Martin this weekend what do you think is next for the new IBF heavyweight champion? There's some discussion about him facing one of the other title holders like Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder. Who would you like to see Joshua matched against next and why? 

What did you guys think of the O2 as a venue for boxing? Has anyone ever been to a sporting event there before and if so what did you think? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. slight_smile

This information came from the O2 blog more information here

Anthony Joshua.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Possibly going against the grain here, but I've never really understood the fascination with boxing, a "sport" where the aim is to punch your opponents head enough to stop the brain functioning correctly.
I mean in any other sport, anywhere on earth if an opponent suffered the trauma to the body boxers do, there would be calls of outrage at the lack of legislative protection.
Just a few weeks ago, we had a retired boxer telling his son to not hit his opponents head anymore because he may proper mess him up, not the referee, not the support staff, not the official body, the dad of the boxer who himself turned his opponent into a vegetable in front of millions watching around the world.
Maybe it's just me?
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123150 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Possibly going against the grain here, but I've never really understood the fascination with boxing, a "sport" where the aim is to punch your opponents head enough to stop the brain functioning correctly.
I mean in any other sport, anywhere on earth if an opponent suffered the trauma to the body boxers do, there would be calls of outrage at the lack of legislative protection.
Just a few weeks ago, we had a retired boxer telling his son to not hit his opponents head anymore because he may proper mess him up, not the referee, not the support staff, not the official body, the dad of the boxer who himself turned his opponent into a vegetable in front of millions watching around the world.
Maybe it's just me?

No it's not just you ...it's exactly how I feel. The only boxer I ever watched because he was a brilliantly funny man as well as being a superb fighter ...was Muhammed Ali. *Floats like a butterfly ...stings like a bee*

Look at him now. Recent research is pointing towards his crippling Parkinsons disease being a direct result of his boxing career...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too enjoyed Muhammed Ali @Cleoriff particularly his funny conversations with BBC boxing commentator Harry Carpenter ... but ... as I've said in another thread, I'd like to see the boxers wearing protective head gear

Message 4 of 8

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I believe boxing is comparable to fox hunting, in that just because it's an ancient sport that has been practised for God knows how many years, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's acceptable in the 21st century.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Boxing is certainly not without it's risks and at times matches are aloud to go on to long. I mentioned it in a previous thread but MMA has far less instances of head injuries despite how brutal it looks. This is because unlike boxing where the majority of strikes are to the head MMA strikes are all over the body and a lot of matches are ended by submission rather then KO. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 6 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

A dangerous sport without a doubt but all sports have an element of risk, granted, some more than others. Having boxed myself in my youth, I like watching. There is an art whether you think so or not. Boxing teaches you great discipline and many a wayward teenager has been led from a life of crime.

Now if AJ can dump that idiot Tyson Fury on his as. ...

Message 7 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie Agreed! They have some real problems with head injuries in American football even with all the protective gear. 

Ohh it would be nice to see Fury taken down a notch or 2 wink

signature

Message 8 of 8